TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Denon 3808ci

by retlaw53 / February 27, 2008 12:54 AM PST

I see alot about the video upscaling on this reciever but im still a little unclear. Does this actually make standard def tv look like hi def?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon 3808ci
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon 3808ci
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Confusing to me too
by dinox64 / February 27, 2008 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Denon 3808ci

You would think so. I asked this same question about DVD players that use Faroudja technology. Saying they convert SD DVDs to 1080p which is HiDef. But people say the clarity is in the way they format the Dvd when being made. Seems like 1080p would be 1080p. I do know they use HiDef cameras for HiDef broadcasts. So if it were as easy as a video upscaler,studios would save their money and just tell us to buy an upscaler. Make sense?
I'm sure it improves the quality of the picture some but since not starting as an HD signal just how good can it get? Be it DVD or Tv. They(Cnet and other electronic guides)say you can barely decern HD from upconversion from normal viewing distances around 2.5 to 3 times diagonal screen. Yes you can if you hit pause and study the freeze frame or close enough to count pixels I guess. So that should have answered you question. One thing it should do is prevent signal degradation because it's not just passing trough. Everytime you have a connector you're loosing some signal.

Collapse -
Denon 3808
by retlaw53 / February 27, 2008 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Confusing to me too

Sorry i should of been more clear. I was posting at work and in a hurry.

Im not expecting true 1080p I would really just like my plasma tv to display standard def tv atleast as well as an old CRT. Basically will it actually clean up some of the mess of standard def television.

But judging by your post it seems it would. Now the desision to buy this one or the step down with only 2 hdmi ports.

Collapse -
Won't be like CRT,
by jostenmeat / February 27, 2008 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Denon 3808

but it may or may not help. Firstly, understand that the quality of your source is key. And so is the video processing of the tv itself. But since these are probably immutable at this point, the best processor for this stuff is Silicon Optix Reon or Realta. Those who know say its significantly better than Faroudja. Denon makes some with it.

However, there are still some issues at times, altered black levels, other things that I never researched, because I don't use any such processing.

Im purely native hi-def now.

Collapse -
Worse then plasma vs lcd.
by retlaw53 / February 27, 2008 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Won't be like CRT,

I wish i could go full hi-def but im in alaska and as usual were a good 5 years behind the rest of the states. So ill have to settle for cable.

Collapse -
I see,
by jostenmeat / February 27, 2008 8:09 AM PST

you mean for TV purposes. While we continental folks do get hi-def TV, I was also implying Bluray, etc, and IM sure you can get that. If you can't, stick with the old CRT! haha

Another worry you have with cable thru receiver is the HDCP handshake issue (lack of repeater). Now some cable company out there has dealt with this, but it seems that the vast majority do not. You will get no signal using receiver with cable... and if AK is really that far behind...

sorry. if lcd vs plasms for SD, I would think plasma. Get the best video processing you can get in it, ie the best TV. I think* if rear projection is fine, I would consider the Sony SXRD before they are all gone. cheers

Collapse -
Got the tv
by retlaw53 / February 27, 2008 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: I see,

Already purchased a panisonic 50 inch plasma. cant recall the model number off the top of my head but its the one cnet recommends minus the anti glare (dark room) And really the picture isnt bad on it for regular tv. I just want better. Im just piecing together the rest of my set up. Audio is most important obviously just the upscaling stuff made me wonder. I appreciate all the info though.

Just think after i traverse these murky waters. On to speakers! lol.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.