TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Denon 3808 Operation

by norbridge1 / January 24, 2009 1:26 AM PST

I am not a "techie" - just a simple retired guy - and need some basic help from other 3808 owners:
1. Should my Comcast DVR be connected with my HDMI cable to the 3808 (which is what I currently have), or directly to my HDTV (Pioneer PRO 111FD)? I have removed the speakers from the HDTV and have an audio optical cable from the Pioneer to the 3808 which is currently used for audio on antenna-received broadcasts.
2. What settings on the 3808 do others use for listening to cable HD channels where the sound input shows as 5 channels on the receiver? Is it "Dolby Digital", or "7CH Stereo" or "Widescreen" or something else?
3. We listen to a lot of classical music from the Tuner, Internet radio and CDs. All sound good on 7CH Stereo. But for movies (both 5.1 and old stereo) I find I have to reduce the setting for my center channel in order to hear the surround sound properly? Is this normal, or is something wrong with my settings?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon 3808 Operation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon 3808 Operation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jasondtx / January 24, 2009 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Denon 3808 Operation

I would hook up your cable box hdmi to the denon, then to the pioneer plasma. You won't have any degradation to the signal that way. Second, if your cable broadcast is sending 5.1 DD I would leave your receiver in "standard" surround mode, then it will decode it and send the proper sound to the proper speaker without any extra surround processing. Third, when you listen to music there are always other fun surround modes which add processing to the sound. Most of the time these make things sound too spacious, throw of the balance, add delays, etc. Two channel music (ie CD) is always recorded and mixed using 2 speaker channels. The "correct" way to listen to this is in the stereo or direct mode. Receivers have many other modes which are there as more of a personal preference. If you want to have the entire system playing stereo that's when you would select 5 or 7ch stereo, or plII, or another mode. Technically though the most natural sounding would be stereo. Also use the Audyssey eq setup with the microphone, a very nice result!

Collapse -
by norbridge1 / January 25, 2009 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: 3808

Thanks jasondtx. When I press the "Standard" button the display shows "Dolby Digital", but the sound only seems to come out of the center and two front speakers - nothing much comes out of the other four. Whereas if I select a DSP mode, such as "Wide Screen" I get sound from all seven speakers. Denon calls this 5.1+2 Do you believe the "Dolby Digital" setting gives the truest sound.

Collapse -
by jasondtx / January 26, 2009 4:31 AM PST

The dolby digital would give you the truest sound yes. The widescreen mode is going to add the other back 2 speaker channels and do some other processing to the sound to make it sound like a movie theater. Did you use the microphone or have someone set the levels of all the speakers?

Collapse -
by norbridge1 / January 26, 2009 11:17 PM PST

Yes, the retailer who delivered the receiver set the speakers with the audessey mike. On 7 CH Stereo they seem to be well balanced, but when on Dolby Digital or Dolby Px (for 2-channel input) I usually reduce the center speaker to hear the surround better. I never interfere with the settings of the other speakers.

Collapse -
by jasondtx / January 31, 2009 3:51 AM PST

You shouldn't have to adjust the center channel to hear the rest of the system. Does your denon have the Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume? If it does not there is a free upgrade from Denon.com for this. This would help you get the appropriate levels. When you turn the volume down from "0" reference level, your ear hears things differently. The bass seems to disappear and the surround sound tends to go away. This is because of the way your ear hears things. At reference level this is not an issue. At lower volumes if you turn on the Audyssey Dynamic EQ this will compensate for this in real time so no matter what volume you listen to your program material, you will have the correct balance of bass and surround sound.

Collapse -
by norbridge1 / February 1, 2009 12:41 AM PST

Jason:
I don't have the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. As my receiver is 6 months old I have to pay $100 to get it. Is it worth it?
Also, what do you mean by "reference level" - is that the settings after running the Audessy set-up with the mike?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?