Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Democrats voting Wednesday for President

by James Denison / November 1, 2004 10:33 AM PST

should be commended for getting out their vote!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Democrats voting Wednesday for President
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Democrats voting Wednesday for President
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I guess it's all started over there James
by SteveGargini / November 1, 2004 2:56 PM PST

I hope everyone makes the right choice.
Good luck to everyone -
Duh!
Just been thinking about that one - not everyone is going to be happy whatever the result.
That's the way it goes I guess.
Well, let's hope the result is decisive, and not have all that legal stuff.
Fat chance of that with the polls so close.
Duh! I just realised that the time over there in the U.S is just past midnight - Any sleep walking voters around. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, and...
by James Denison / November 1, 2004 10:05 PM PST

...my vote for George W. Bush will get caught up in the bigger Democratic vote in this state of Maryland. I've been thinking of switching my voting place to Florida since I also own property there. My vote would count more there I think and I could do it by absentee ballot from here. Unfortunately there are many who vote in two states, which for local elections if they own property in both states I can understand, but for national elections is against the law. I sure wish they'd investigate the border counties and the ones with a large influx of transient residents to insure they aren't voting in two states at the same time for the presidential election.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Heh heh heh heh heh... :)
by Dragon / November 1, 2004 10:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Maybe we should start a pool.....
by Josh K / November 1, 2004 10:50 PM PST

....guessing how many times that tired old joke will be trotted out today.

Too bad it wasn't a joke when it was done for real to some voters last time around.

Collapse -
The republicans are doing it again, Josh
by Dan McC / November 2, 2004 12:03 AM PST

It's really too sad that they have so little respect for American values.

Dan

Collapse -
Oh please!
by EdH / November 2, 2004 12:08 AM PST

Democrat vote fraud far more extensive every election. Republicans are pikers in comparison.

Collapse -
You're half right
by Dan McC / November 2, 2004 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Oh please!

Republicans are pikers. But they are also producing these flyers.

Dan

Collapse -
This again? ? ?
by Dan McC / November 2, 2004 12:01 AM PST

Do people get a free Happy Meal whenever they post this joke?

Sadly, Republicans are putting out fliers faked to look like they're coming from elections boards with this misinformation on it.

Talk about Anti-American, this is sure it.

Dan

Collapse -
Kinda like...
by EdH / November 2, 2004 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: This again? ? ?

the phone calls from Democrats claiming Norman Schwartzkoff is endorsing Kerry?

Collapse -
Maybe
by Dan McC / November 2, 2004 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Kinda like...
Collapse -
Here ya go
by EdH / November 2, 2004 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe
Collapse -
Re: Here ya go
by Josh K / November 2, 2004 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Here ya go

The Kerry endorsement came from someone who served with Schwartzkopf. The phone message does not say that the general himself endorsed Kerry.

Someone gave Stormin' Norman some "bad intel."

Collapse -
???
by EdH / November 2, 2004 5:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Here ya go

in a recording of a phone call played for the Associated Press, a man identifying himself as the Persian Gulf War general says...

Collapse -
Re: ???
by Josh K / November 2, 2004 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: ???

The recording was edited, by whom I don't know. The full transcript of the recording was:

Hi, I'm General Tony McPeak and as Chief of the air force during the first Gulf War, I worked closely with Colin Powell and Norm Schwarzkopf. In 2000, I voted for George W. Bush. This year I'm voting for John Kerry. George Bush took his eye off the ball and the war on terror and took us into a poorly planned war in Iraq, letting Al Qaeda, the people responsible for September 11th attack on us, regroup. John Kerry has a real plan to make the military stronger and to go after the terrorists wherever they hide. On November 2 we need to vote for change, a vote for John Kerry.

If you'd like to hear the actual call, click here.

Schwartzkopf was forced to admit yesterday that he never heard the tape, read the transcript or talked to McPeak about it. He said he was told by RNC party officials that he was being quoted.

Collapse -
"I am supporting President Bush for re-election because
by Dragon / November 2, 2004 12:38 AM PST
Collapse -
I guess you didn't read my other post....
by Josh K / November 2, 2004 1:54 AM PST

...in which I explained that the General is incorrect.

Collapse -
Oh, but I did read it.
by Dragon / November 2, 2004 10:14 AM PST

I was just letting everyone know that the General, seen in quotes in my link, was supporting Bush. I didnt mean to imply anything about the fake phone calls.

Collapse -
Re: Maybe
by Rolway / November 2, 2004 12:49 AM PST

Hi Dan

Its amazing how trying to read between the lines from double tongues produce answers according to what you want to believe.

BTW I just voted and we do it the old fashion way. "Fill in dots". No pulling levers, punching holes, or pushing buttons. No mistakes or screwed up electronics.

George

Collapse -
by James Denison / November 2, 2004 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Maybe

I wish we still had those here. It was all computerized with no paper backup in my precinct this time. We used to have a better system in which you filled out a paper sheet with dark pencil and then that was fed into a counter that tallied the votes and kept the paper backup copy. I want that back!

Already problems in Maryland, they even had to fire one election official today. I heard in Collier county Florida the vote tally didn't match the votes cast and everything there was on hold due to "software glitch".

Collapse -
by Dan McC / November 2, 2004 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Maybe

More 'software glitches' are going to become apparent in the coming weeks and months if the e-voting results are thoroughly scrutinized.

Dan

Collapse -
This morning I swear I saw...
by James Denison / November 2, 2004 10:04 PM PST

...some Democrat neighbors sheepishly removing their Kerry signs, while one down the road took off like he was late for the polls or something. What a scene, the smarter ones dejected, the dumber ones rushing down to the polls today in an effort to give their guy all the help they could. Of course the one still with Ohio tags on his car may have actually forgot what state he was in. None of them looked too cheerful. We cheerfully waved and gave them a smile, hoping it didn't look to much like a smirk.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!