Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Democrats' notion of fair play

by Kiddpeat / August 15, 2004 9:46 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Democrats' notion of fair play
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Democrats' notion of fair play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there any doubt a democrat would get the spot anyway?
by James Denison / August 15, 2004 4:44 PM PDT

Sounds like another family dynasty thing such as the Kennedy's have.

Collapse -
Yes, there is doubt if the Republicans ran a viable
by Kiddpeat / August 15, 2004 5:27 PM PDT

candidate. I don't think the suburbanites in Lipinski's district are going to like nepotism. I sure don't even though I like Lipinski.

Collapse -
You are talking Tennessee
by James Denison / August 16, 2004 12:46 PM PDT

and they aren't that much different than Kentucky, and they really don't give a hoot about nepotism in either place. Anything other than nepotism would be considered almost against nature there.

Collapse -
Unless there are some underlying health issues ...
by Evie / August 15, 2004 9:34 PM PDT

... that developed in the intervening months April-June-present, this is inexcusable. This smells of a calculated effort to get his son elected when he does not have the experience/qualifications to run on his own. Once an encumbant, he might not get a free ride in '06, but he will have an advantage. James, the issue of whether or not that seat would have been competitive, I submit that going up against the son might well have attracted a better Republican candidate as well as some national assistance from the party if the seat was seen as up for grabs. Wouldn't it be great if the voters sent a message and elected his opponent even if just in protest?

This is somewhat different than the recent case of the guy who switched party as he hasn't really changed his politics. Although he had a D after his name, he hasn't been pulling the party line for some time now and the Dems have long known this. With the way the elections run in that state the party could have run another Democrat more in line with their national politics, but they figured they stood a better chance of keeping the seat Democratic (even if in name mostly) by rolling the dice with the (seemingly popular) encumbant. Granted, as said before, it would have "smelled" much better had he switched sooner, but the voters in LA will also have the opportunity to reject him. A vote for person/positions over party gets him re-elected, a vote for party gets him rejected. The other candidates in the race might not be powerhouses, but they seem to be more formidible than Lipinski's opponent is portrayed above.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Democrats' notion of fair play
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 15, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

Hi, KP.

I don't see the parallel to the LA situation at all -- in this case, as there, it's Democrats (particularly other potential Democratic candidates) who have a basis for complaint.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep ... Party is the most important thing :(
by Evie / August 16, 2004 5:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I agree. The Dems win hands down at complaining.
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2004 6:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?