General discussion

Demise of 900 Mhz Phones

Anyone bought a new cordless phone lately? Those 900 Mhz cordless phones you could carry half a block or more away, go visit the neighbor's yard, are becoming rare unless you buy one used. For the same power used the higher the frequency the lower the footprint, which means the newer ones in the 2-6 Gigahertz range have a smaller footprint, and some complain can't even reach to their back fence if they carry the phone out with them. Also no longer clear speech but using DECT, a digital "enhancement" broadcast. The con is less distance, the pro is less eavesdropping possible.

Anyone have one of the 5.8 Ghz cordless phones? I've ordered a double handset (Panasonic) but wondering about others experience with these newer models.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Demise of 900 Mhz Phones
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Demise of 900 Mhz Phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I can use one at my second job...

... that goes from inside a silk screen printing factory to an adjacent house being used as an office about 75 yards away. It's a radio shack dect 6 expandable phone set with 5 hand sets being used.

- Collapse -
that's encouraging

I like to take mine into the yard while doing any work or gardening there. It's 100' from back of house to fence, bit more to corners.

- Collapse -
We use Panasonic DECT

We have several handsets scattered around the house, and they have worked quite well. They have much better range than our old cordless phone did. I don't think the previous phone was one of the 900 MHz analog phones but I don't remember what frequency it used.

One nice thing about our phone is that the stored commonly used phone numbers are kept in the base unit so I can access any of the numbers we commonly use from any handset. I don't know how other phones manage the frequently used numbers.

- Collapse -
I'm looking forward to the new ones

After checking around, Panasonic seemed to get the best reviews at most sites, even discounting those reviews that sound like company people spreading them around the sites. General Electric seems to have withdrawn from the cordless phones, some of their past entries were pilloried strongly. We had one of theirs, a black 900Mhz with bigger buttons than the white one w/CallerID and it's worked great for years, had decent battery life off the charger, great range. We also had one of the white GE with the smaller buttons and Caller ID LCD on it, and everything everyone's complained about them were true. The best I can say about it is at least the speaker I took from it works great for BIOS beeps in an old PC now, LOL.

- Collapse -
Slightly off subject question

since someone here may have personal experience with the matter.

Do any of the new multiple handset/charger with one base allow more than one handset at the time in use? In the sense of using more than one at a time like you could join in on various wired extensions.

I know with one base and analog that didn't work, only one frequency pair used basically. But I'm wondering if with digital transmissions the handset might be individually ID'ed, different node addresses so to speak.

- Collapse -
That's what they claim.

I'll let you know for sure later. Supposedly you can use them internally like intercom (some of them) and all the handsets other than the base are "accessory", meaning they depend on the base being there in addition to their own cradle charger. Advantage is plugging base into one wall plug and having 4-6 handsets and charger cradles set around the house. Supposed to do conference calls. I think the base controls everything rather than the individual accessory chargers. I think that's all the chargers do anymore, unlike the older analog phones which would claim and change any handset placed onto it for it's own. There were some fun tricks you could do with that, LOL, like if a teen was taking too long on the phone, drop a second handset into the cradle they pulled their handset from and suddenly they were cut off because now your handset was now synched to that cradle.

- Collapse -
Ours lets you use multiple handsets simultaneously

We can make intercom calls to other rooms but that has limited utility unless you happen to remember which handset number is located in each room.

If the phone is in use the handsets that are not in use display a message that a call is in progress. Picking up and activating the handset works just fine as a sort of conference call.

On our system the base unit (not the satellite charger) assigns handset numbers to each handset so it does not matter which charger the handset is placed in. James' trick wouldn't work with the system.

CNET Forums

Forum Info