PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dells WD Raptor 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hd 10,000 RPM HD

by islandporgy / March 10, 2007 8:56 PM PST

Only made for dell is the Western Digital Raptor 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (10,000RPM). When I saw the Dell XPS 710 H2C (Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD)on Cnets site, http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_710_H2C_Core_2_Duo_2_66GHz_4GB_RAM_320GB_HDD/4505-3118_7-32305739.html?tag=lst I was amazed at Dells new machine. I went to dells site and looked up that machine and was amazed by the two 160 gig HD.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXCQZH1&s=dhs

I am planning my next build and would have liked that HD in my machine. I started looking around at the sites where I purchase hardware and software with know luck.

I emailed Western Digital a required about the HD, this is there reply below.

Dear Wendell,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

Yes there is 160GB raptor drive, but that drive is only made and sold to Dell. Also they list the drive having SATA 2 when it only has SATA 1.

Sincerely,
Tomas R.

Well I have the WD 74 10,000 rpm HD and like it very much but would like to have the 160 WD HD. I have to settle for the WD 150 Raptor X 10,000 rpm HD. May be latter on they will come out with a larger 10,000 rpm HD then the 150 or the 160.

Thanks all- the new Dell is one mean machine. I like their colling system, and how you can overclock the CPU and still be under warranty.

Wendell H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dells WD Raptor 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hd 10,000 RPM HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dells WD Raptor 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hd 10,000 RPM HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try....
by VAPCMD / March 11, 2007 3:06 AM PDT

Newegg.com or ZipZoomFly.com....there are many many vendors that sell the 'Raptor' Line of hard disk drives.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
The 160 is only sold to Dell
by islandporgy / March 11, 2007 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Try....

Before I wrote to WD I checked both Zipzoomfly & Newegg computer they sell the other raptor drives but not the WD 160 Raptor 10,000 rpm hd.

Only sold to dell, Thats what Western Digital told me.

Thank You

Wendell H

Collapse -
160GB Raptors only to Dell
by linkit / March 11, 2007 5:39 AM PDT

I also recall reading that inofrmation.

Collapse -
(NT) Ok, so why the magic number 160?
by ahtoi / March 11, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just not only 10 gigs more
by islandporgy / March 11, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

The Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive.

The Western Digital Raptor 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (10,000RPM)

10 more gigs and ATA 3GB/S, instead off ATA 150. The 160 is ready for the new MB that come setup for sata 3GB/s.

Thank You:

Wendell H

Collapse -
Okay....missed the 150-160 size difference
by VAPCMD / March 11, 2007 6:59 AM PDT

Dell usually has decent prices but then they don't have to be too competitive if they're the only ones with the 160GB unit. What's the warranty ?

Is it SATA 3.0 or 1.5 ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
The WD 160 10,000 rpm HD only in a machine
by islandporgy / March 11, 2007 11:16 AM PDT

The Dell XPS 710 H2C (Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD)has two 160 Gig HD.
That machine start at 5499.00 after you add all the goodies to it, you can look at around 7000.00 or higher their high end computers are not cheap anymore. Configure one and see?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxcqzh1&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN

I checked Dells site to buy the WD 160 10,000 rpm HD did not see it they might not be putting it out for sale except in a machine.
Check cnets Video out on Dell machine.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_710_H2C_Core_2_Duo_2_66GHz_4GB_RAM_320GB_HDD/4505-3118_7-32305739.html?tag=lst

Thank You:

Wendell H

Collapse -
That's an outrageous price ....wonder how many they sell at
by VAPCMD / March 11, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

that price ?

Guess it would be OK if you were using it to make a living and it made things go much much faster.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Build My Own
by islandporgy / March 11, 2007 7:55 PM PDT

I could build my own a lot cheaper and have more in it than they do, except for that cooling system they have.

After my first computer I build I do not think I could buy a store built computer.
Building is a lot off fun and you learn more about the computer than you expect.

(I just want that HD) for my next build.

Wendell H

Collapse -
i don't know how to build...
by weng27 / March 13, 2007 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Build My Own

but if u teach me how to build i build one for my own machine....thanxx in advance

Collapse -
I did not know how either:
by islandporgy / March 13, 2007 6:16 PM PDT

I did not know how to build a computer either, it dont have to take you as long to build a compter as it took me.
I planned my it out for over a year befor I put my first one together.
My first build was not all new parts the Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Case, all the rest came from a Gateway computer I upgraded.
So I had a good Video Card, OK Sound Card, cheap 5.1 speaker system, CD writer, CD rom, Floppy Drive, Power Supply, HD.

I knew I could put the computer together but as far as conecting the leads from the case to the mother board. I was going to have a friend connect the leads for me the night that I had everything esle put together. My friend did not make it and I chose to do it my self.
I knew Negitive from Positive had went to school for Electronics but had a little fear, You do not know have to go to school for Electronics as long as you know Negitive from positive you can build a computer and know how to follow simple directions.

This is what I (Wendell H) did.

1) Planned my build
2) Went to costom sights and configured a computer to see what was compatible and what was not compatible.
3) First thing I bought was a case Mid size Ultra case some vendors call it full size.
4) Bought all the needed parts that I could not use from my old computer.
5) At tigerdirect for each component they had tips at the bottom off each page. Read them all.
6) Read a lot about safety procedures when building, one procedure that stuck in my head was grounding my self or tacking the static electricity out off my body.
7) Had two tables laid out all my equipment
Cool Started my build Had the motherboard booklet was very important because nearly everything gets connected to the motherboard. Once you know the connections that are on the MB that your componet will use then you are on your way. ( I fried a motherboard once, because I forgot safety Procedures).
9) Not every case leads are the same I was told by a computer repair man in my town and that I had to costomize one lead. It was simple, one lead had to be split in half to be conected to the terminals on the MB. When I split the lead it was not a clean split so I had to buy this compound called Liquid tape.
10) The instructions told me when you boot up and you hear one beep, that told me all connection was connected correctly.

11) Had to go inside Bios and set that up to how I was going to use my computer, for instance MB had onboard sound I was using a Sound Card so I had to disable onboard sound.
12)XP was out but I did not want to use it I used ME, but I found out later when I bought Dual channel memory that I had to use it for it to be enabled.
Here is one off the links I used, there are many. I can say now it was not as bad as I though.
(I have Upgraded My first Computer until I can not upgrade it anymore).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/static/html/pcbuildingtips.html

I have built a few computers since my first one and built some for friends that just did not want to build a computer.

When I built my first I used one off the best Motherboards at that time Gigabyte had for AMD CPU. I have learned a lot from that MB, and I am glad I did. My next build wich will be soon. I have to get another motherboard that I can learn from. The Motherboard is the main part off the build, (guys that is my opinion).
I foud out over the years building is fun and very (Addictive).

Good Luck and have fun:

Wendell H

Collapse -
thanx so much...
by weng27 / March 14, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

to the tell the truth i don't have really idea how to build the computer. first time i learn the basic to used the computer just last year. my first pc toshiba qosmio G15 and i used my laptop for chatting specially mostly for game but the the memory in the ram is not enough for online game and i have a lot of problem. my harddrive E is pull and i don't know how to delete coz to slow rigth now. do u have any idea to share ur knowledge or i will bring this to computershop delete all my program.i dont have important data or files in my pc. so i will upgrade my ram 512 to 1 GB? my local C and D dish is stiil pull of free space. only dvd ram drive E have no free space at all..... thanx again for ur reply i appreciated..

Collapse -
Upgrade first
by islandporgy / March 15, 2007 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: thanx so much...

I upgraded my computer first before I even thought about building a computer.
1) Installed Memory
2) Installed Roms
3) Installed Power-supply

Start off small get accustom to your computer components. Open the case look inside determine what is what on the inside off the case.

I had my first computer three months before I put in more memory. First thing I learned was to ground my self before going into the computer or get rid off the static electricity in my body.

It seems very hard but when you do your first one then it seems easy.
My first build was a lot off fun, then it got addictive.

Good Luck
Wendell H

Collapse -
DELL LIED
by Innoculate / January 8, 2008 9:28 AM PST

If you read carefully, WD said it's Sata 1 and not Sata 2
Dell didn't print their ad properly and who know's if it was intentional.

Sata150 or Sata1 is 1.5gb/s
Sata300 or Sata2 is 3.0gb/s

Sata1 comes in 7200 and 10000rpm
Sata2 comes in 7200 only

The question is what is faster?

Data moving at 1.5gb/s being accessed at 10K?
or
Data moving at 3.0gb/s being accessed at 7.2K?

Collapse -
Which is faster.....the answer is at the link below
by VAPCMD / January 8, 2008 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: DELL LIED
Collapse -
Nice chart
by Innoculate / January 9, 2008 10:47 AM PST

I already new the answer.......LOL

Looks like my Seagate 80GB Sata300@7200 RPM kicks
WD's Raptor 74GB and 150GB Sata150@10000 RPM all
over the place at about 30% better performance.

and my Seagates were $43.00 with 5 year warranty!
I think the Raptor's were $200.00 each.

I have 3 of them in a Raid5 and it is Faaaaaasssstttttt!!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.