Laptops forum

General discussion

dell6000/hp zv6000,which one?

This will be our first noteboook.We like the hp zv6000,but are also considering the dell 6000.Configured the way we would order them,they are just about equal in price.Any advice,pro or con, on these laptops,would be appreciated.Thanks...HOJO

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell6000/hp zv6000,which one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell6000/hp zv6000,which one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP ZV6000

In reply to: dell6000/hp zv6000,which one?

because amd 64-bit. But if you want battery power, go with the Dell 6000. Don't expect much from an HP ZV6000 or Compaq R4000. With 2x 12 cells, expect to get maximum of 5 hours, and 2.5 max from 1x 12-cell. As for the 8-cell, 1hour give or take, while the Pentium M guarantees at least 4 hours.
Roger

Collapse -
Dell6000 for long battery life, zv6000 for performance

Which notebook is preferable is really dependent on your intended use. If you are basically looking for a notebook for internet browsing and word documents the Dell 6000 is a very good choice and will give you a lot of battery life.

However, if you intend to do video editing, disc burning, or other heavy duty tasks, stick with the zv6000 or the CompaqR4000(almost identical to the HP, but less money. Be sure to upgrade the video card to 128mb since that upgrade will also get you a firewire port, a 6 in 1 card reader, and an Express 54 slot (about a $25 upgrade). The brightview (glossy) screen also produces a beautiful color rich picture and I'd highly recommend it as long as you wouldn't mind a bit of glare from reflection.)

The other advantage of the Athlon is that it will be compatible with the new 64 bit version of Windows that will soon be released.

So, if you are not interested in 64 bit, if your main concern is battery life and you do not mind trading off some performance (speed) than the Dell 6000 would be OK.

Since I plan to do a lot of photo and video editing, I went with the Athlon. So far so good, although since it just arrived, I've not had a chance to really put it to the test. Battery life was definitely non-stellar. About 2 hours - routine tasks and watching a movie.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Pro the HP have not had good luck with Dell

I have a Dell laptop that is going on two years old and I have had a problem with the DVD/CD writer and crashing Windows XP. The Indian Nationals are not going to give any home tech service and go around the bush asking questions until you go mad.

I have an HP desktop with Windows XP and it doesn't crash and the DV/CD writer works every time

GET HP!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.