Laptops forum

General discussion

by abhinavvinay / December 21, 2008 2:40 PM PST

My HPdv2119 recently crashed and im planning to buy a new laptop with a config of 2.5ghz pentium core2duo,4gb RAM and a decent graphics card.

I'm having trouble deciding between DELL XPS 1530 and Sony Vaio FW. Can you pls suggest me which would be a better option with regards to reliability, performance and customer support.

Thanks in advance,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL XPS OR SONY VAIO??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL XPS OR SONY VAIO??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell wins on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 10:01 PM PST

Support. Sony still has lackluster answers to none for what most call in about.

As to reliability, have you noticed that the parts used today have a "3 year design life." Since you see both companies use the same parts then reliability is about equal once we dismiss the usual Windows issues.

Collapse -
by abhinavvinay / December 22, 2008 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Dell wins on

So between XPS and VAIO,u think XPS is a better option?

Collapse -
Just on the one support issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: XPS & VAIO

While all companies are doing poorly in supporting Windows issues, Dell offers native language support where as Sony seems to still run back to "restore the system" at the first sign of trouble.

Just to note the usual. You may have learned, we only lose what we didn't backup.

Collapse -
Avoid Dell
by Renegade Knight / December 23, 2008 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: XPS & VAIO

Dell refused to honor my warranty on a laptop. 1000 to repair it myself. Thus far no problems with my XPS. However based on the warranty issue I'm inclined to give Sony a shot if I had to choose between the two.

For what it's worth the Dell support tech sounded like he was reading from a script. They suggested that I check things I already checked. I found they don't listen, don't answer questions, don't do the legwork, and are willing to lie rather than take extra time on a difficult situation.

Collapse -
I've heard stories like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Avoid Dell

But these stories come and go with finger pointing all around. Sorry to hear about your loss but here at the office Dell honors the warranty excluding the water damage, drops (except where we bought the accident protection.)

I can't say it's a problem for us.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?