Computer Help forum

General discussion

dell xps 410 very sluggish - searchindexer.exe possible culp

by shute / September 10, 2008 7:06 AM PDT

I have a dell xps 410 with windows xp and 2 gb ram. It seemed to work fine for almost a year now. A couple months back I installed 2 more gb ram. When I check system info, it says 3 gb total, but on start up it says 4 gb. last couple months I noticed performance was very sluggish at times. It takes a bit to load on startup, then it appears something is running absorbing all resources. Most of the time I have to open task manager and close searchindexer.exe It always pops back up maybe 30 seconds later and I have to repeat closing it down several times.

While I like to search for files from desktop search, its quite annoying robbing my resources constantly.

Ive run full memory and file scans using avast anti virus and all is clean.

At times I think the performance of the machine is slower than before adding 2 gb ram. Any suggestions on how best to go about resolving the sluggish issue and pep this system up some?

I use photoshop cs3 alot, and wondered if upgrading my video card might help speed things up as far as large image files are concerned.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell xps 410 very sluggish - searchindexer.exe possible culp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell xps 410 very sluggish - searchindexer.exe possible culp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The culprit is most likely...
by metalfan1982 / September 10, 2008 7:54 AM PDT

Check your machine for spyware and viruses. Also, uninstall any and all programs you do not need, toolbars, ect. Especially Programs that start at startup. The reason for the conflicting messages on how much ram you have is because 32 bit operating systems only recognize 2.8 GB . Your motherboard, aka your bios startup screen would recognize all 4, but your operating system will not.

About virus and spyware programs, the best I found is Vipre (yes better than symatec aka norton, and better than mcaffee. Google Vipre antispyware and Anitivirus and you should be able to find and download it. 15 day free trial, full functionality. Very low resource usage.

System utilities.

Google Jkdefrag , Free program to defrag your hard drive and much better than the default windows crap. Use that once a week, starting after you get all of your programs uninstalled(that you don't need) and all of your viruses and/or spyware cleaned up. Use it also if you make big change, IE installing large programs, deleting files, ect.

Get Ccleaner, yes that is spelled right, google it and it will be easy to find. Its a great program for getting rid of unneeded files that serve no purpose(windows creates alot of unneeded files over time)

This is a couple of hours work but trust me its worth it. If you don't feel like it you could always send your laptop to me, I charge 100$ Plus shipping and it will run like new Happy

Collapse -
Desktop search
by metalfan1982 / September 10, 2008 8:00 AM PDT

Could be your problem. "Nice" little utilities like that tend to slow down your pc alot, and many of these "nice" little programs come with malware.

Collapse -
SearchIndexer problem? Me too.
by JZweighaft / October 17, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

I seem to have a related problem with SearchIndexer on an HP desktop. My system, a quad core processor, doesn't actually get very sluggish, but a dual core could. Problems started in September after a Microsoft automatic update for Search 4.0. I have not yet tried uninstalling it. For the moment I restore search defaults (Indexing Options > Advanced > Restore Defaults) and reboot to clear it. This is needed infrequently, but still averages about two a week. See http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?siteid=1&postid=3940078 for more details. I suspect that my system is clean and the problem is Microsoft's. There are a lot of SearchIndexer problems reported on the web. I'm hoping that Microsoft will work on it and actually fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

John Z VT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.