Desktops forum

General discussion

DELL XPS 410 NO Video

by k8krb9 / February 28, 2009 11:01 AM PST

Hello, can anyone out there assist me, I have been working on my XPS 410 to try and get my video to work, to no avail. It was working fine, had a Nividia 7900 card and it worked for about 15 months and then one morning nothing. There are no diagnostic lights on the front of the machine. None the less I have reseated all memory and video cards. I have replaced the monitor, DVI Cable and today the Video card, and I still get not video at all. It seems to sense that there is a machine attached, but other than that, black monitor. I don't really no what else to do.

What is my next step to troubleshoot?
Both monitors and DVI cables work on other machines. I tried a new MSI video card and it doesn't produce any video I am at my wit's end. I am repeating myself....please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL XPS 410 NO Video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL XPS 410 NO Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are no diagnostic lights on the front of the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: DELL XPS 410 NO Video

"There are no diagnostic lights on the front of the machine."

So no beeps, no spinning fans, silence?

Sounds like a DEAD POWER SUPPLY.

-> Just checking. The 7900 was quite a power hog so what power supply did you upgrade to when you put that in?

Collapse -
There are no diagnostic lights on the front of the machine.
by k8krb9 / February 28, 2009 11:48 AM PST

I have power to video card and mobo, keyboard and mouse have power. I was just letting all know that there were no diagnostic lights at all. With the Dells there are four lights that will come on if there is a memory problem,hardware etc.

Collapse -
Still points to a dead power supply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 12:56 PM PST

The next dead part would be what drives those LEDs but a power supply is the cheap most likely part.

I did ask you a question which was "-> Just checking. The 7900 was quite a power hog so what power supply did you upgrade to when you put that in?"

I take from your non-answer that you tried to get by with the stock PSU which increases the chances it's the PSU.

Collapse -
400Watt Power supply
by k8krb9 / February 28, 2009 9:35 PM PST

I have a 400 Watt power supply, and everything else seems to be powered. Also the video card fan is running, Both the MSI and the Dell Nvidia. Are you daying that even though everything is powered it may still be the power supply?

Collapse -
That 400 was near, at the minimum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: 400Watt Power supply

You have reinforced the bad power supply again.

You can't tell if its good by spinning fans. The fans mostly run off the 12 volt rail.

How did you check all the other rails?

Sorry but you seem to be in denial over this. Why not get a voltmeter and test this? Or if you don't own, can't borrow one, order up a new PSU with at least 100 more Watts (that's what this video card may tap the supply for) and that's as much as a good Digital Volt Meter.

It's certainly less money than a shop counter.

Collapse -
by k8krb9 / March 1, 2009 12:22 AM PST

Okay it does not appear as though the fan is runnig in the PSU at all. Which reminds me that it was quite loud previously, I have been hearing and feeling the various video card fans. Since it is a Dell XPS what can I use to replace the PSU there seems to be varing opinions on what will work. Will it have to be a Dell PSU or can I buy off of the shelf? I am going to go 500W

Collapse -
You can do this research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: PSU

If you work at it you can verify if or if not you have the good old standard ATX PSU in dimensions and connections. This is best you do yourself and it's all out there for you to find.

Unlike tech support forums this is an all volunteer discussion forum so you get to help yourself along. I try to point out a direction and stop when you can do some work on your own.

Collapse -
Here I pick these up at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 1:13 AM PST

Fry's, and sometimes

Collapse -
bad motherboard?
by aworthin / July 7, 2009 4:57 AM PDT

I had the same thing happen to my Dell XPS410 last year. I swapped out the video card and the power supply but this didn't fix the problem. The Dell techs were stumped because I wasn't getting any diagnostic beeps. Finally they concluded that it was a bad motherboard and I purchased a refurb motherboard from Dell. Now the same thing is happening again.

Collapse -
Are you keeping this thing in warranty?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: bad motherboard?

That's best if you don't want to pay for repairs at full price.

Collapse -
Dell XPS Repair Procedure - Advanced Repair Service
by Dell-XPS-Repair / October 8, 2011 12:50 PM PDT

I am not trying to just pitch here. I have delt with the nvidia issues
so many times in the job that I have. This company has the absolute
most effective repair procedure possible on the planet. It repairs the
actual issues with the graphics processor. It's not a motherboard
replacement that will fail again like dell does. The issue with this
isn't drivers, isn't settings, it's the fact that the machine has poor
cooling and a faulty design which causes the graphics processor or "GPU"
to "burn out". Trust me i've dealt with this issue over 50 times and
I've also worked with a dozen companies of which this company is the
absolute fastest and most reliable.

Personally Tried and Tested Over 2 dozen times
through my job - Not motherboard replacement this company repairs the
source of the problem!!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?