Question

Dell XPS 17 L702X Laptop not powering on. Advice needed.

When I try to power on this laptop, the power button and accompanying panel light up and then power off. For reference, here is a video of what that looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nZDZJ-r2ww&feature=youtu.be

This is with the HDD and one stick of DDR3 RAM in place. Same results with battery in/out and adapter plugged in.

The reason the keyboard is missing is due to me removing the heat sink, cleaning off old paste, and applying new thermal paste. I thought that might make a difference, but it didn't. Same issue before and after.

Could this mean a new motherboard is needed? I received this laptop as is, I'm just seeing if I can fix it up as a mini project.

Thanks.

Post was last edited on August 12, 2019 1:58 PM PDT

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Dell XPS 17 L702X Laptop not powering on. Advice needed.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell XPS 17 L702X Laptop not powering on. Advice needed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try it one last time.

1. Replace the CMOS battery.
2. Remove power, battery, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, release then test.
3. If failing what can we do without? Don't need the drives, don't need the WiFi module, what else can go?

Some don't want to try the battery replacement and it's so cheap here (under 1USD) that we always give it a shot. Some want assurance that this will fix it so I can write no to that.

A sure fix is to get a working model and use the best parts from both. Like:
https://www.ebay.com/i/173987710458?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=173987710458&targetid=475515100981&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9031354&poi=&campaignid=1669934843&mkgroupid=65058350579&rlsatarget=pla-475515100981&abcId=1139296&merchantid=115286530&gclid=CjwKCAjwnMTqBRAzEiwAEF3ndn7qN4bf69IpJy3hWGH3xcd1KVgRomNlv5YFT2nAPLT_TDmU_cshrBoC9F8QAvD_BwE

- Collapse -
CMOS battery is good

I should have mentioned I tested it with my multimeter and it read around a steady 2.8-2.9V. Tried holding the power button down. I'll try disconnecting the WLAN card and other non-essentials.

I'm not sure I want to spend much money on the laptop, but I'll keep my eye out for deals.

Thanks, I'll report back if anything works.

- Collapse -
My threshold is 3.0. You read under that and

Here that's a failed or too low battery. Remember I can't tell you it's that but over hundreds of repairs and a few saves we don't rule it out over such a cheap part.

- Collapse -
Tried one CMOS with 3V

reading from the multimeter, but no luck. Same problem. Tried disconnecting the WLAN, sound card, USB port and no such luck.

The only difference is when I put the 3V charge battery in, I had the same pattern in the video, but the power button light stayed on for a few extra seconds. Same thing happened when I put another CMOS battery in with a reading of 2.9V.

- Collapse -
OK, with the higher voltage battery.

Remember I'm guessing Dell used the CR2032 so measure IN CIRCUIT to be sure it's 3.0 still.

I'd repeat the reset I noted above (power removed, no battery, etc.) with the least number of parts you can get away with.

I wish I could see that graphic pattern since it could tell me about a common graphics failure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+555M+failure&gl=US pegs this laptop to be pre-2013 so I'd call it what it is, an old laptop. Many GPUs failed back then and no one replaces them in laptops.

- Collapse -
I tried again
- Collapse -
Graphic pattern

"I wish I could see that graphic pattern since it could tell me about a common graphics failure." I'm not sure what you mean by that. If it's the pattern I was referring to after having tested the CMOS battery, I just meant the pattern of led's lighting up in the video I originally posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nZDZJ-r2ww&feature=youtu.be

Is that what you meant?

- Collapse -
Also, the CMOS

battery read 3.03V while seated on the motherboard.

- Collapse -
That's good enough.

The graphic pattern I was thinking about was the LCD display. The status lights look like part of the board power up routine then something in POST fails. This does not tell us much at all other than what Bones would say on Star Trek.

To me it sounds like a dead board. You can try the old remove and reinstall the CPU just in case it's a contact failure.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-l702x_service%20manual_en-us.pdf has the procedure on page 111.

- Collapse -
Bones has a lot of good one liners

I'm not sure what he would say, though I probably didn't watch enough of the original Star Trek.

As you know, it doesn't boot and dies before the LCD can display anything. While taking apart the laptop, I was looking at that same manual and the ifixit page https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+17+L702X+Mother+Board+Replacement/51807

I found a motherboard on ebay for ~$70, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money all that bad. It seems like a decent machine and I would love to see it work, but if I get another board with that same graphics card, maybe it will also have a short life. I think I'll let this one sit for a while, or salvage the parts for something else. Thanks for consistently commenting on another one of my posts.

- Collapse -
And that's a problem too.

The machine is already over it's expected service life so the only reason we fix such is when it's in some proprietary system.

A long long time ago
I can still remember how...

I would repair end of life computers and boards and charge thousands for the work. It wasn't overcharging at all since these would run production CNC machines that made the company thousands of bucks a hour. But to replace the computer or controllers was in the mid 5 figures so 1,000USD for a board repair was acceptable.

In this case it's just some old laptop with albeit a 550m GPU so it's an OK laptop but dated. The cheapest fix I see is a working one from ebay then take the best parts from each to make the best it can be.

About Bones. Most likely "It's dead Jim."

- Collapse -
Fair assessment

Bones is correct. I certainly don't have thousands of dollars on the line. I got the laptop for free, so nothing wasted except my time. I don't like just leaving the laptop, but I am going to move on to another older MSI laptop I just got powering on.

CNET Forums

Forum Info