HolidayBuyer's Guide

Dell forum

Rant

Dell XPS 15 Screen problems in replacement as well

by vinaychugh / July 28, 2011 4:22 AM PDT

Hello Everyone

I purchased a brand new Dell XPS 15 Laptop with 1GB Nvidia 525M GC and 6GM RAM with i5 2410M processor in May'2011. When I first used my laptop, I surprised to see its heating issues, the palm rest, touchpad, keypad and function buttons everything was getting heated up and then there were dark pixels as well.

After so much trouble, I was able to get the whole unit replaced in 20 days of time and that too after contacting there SSR team.

Now even in the replacement unit, after using it for 1 month now, I found it to be defective as well, the screen is getting heated up from lower right corner and the color changes to light green and this is expanding.

According to Dell Tech Support team, this is normal and should not be worried about, however the same is getting increased day by day.

Has anyone experienced such issues in Dell XPS 15? Is this normal or should I ask for screen replacement? Does these guys do the part replacement nicely or damages more?

Also for the duration for which my laptop was in replacement period, Dell was supposed to increase the warranty by those my days, however the same is still not done!

Can anyone please help by suggesting appropriate steps to take as loosing hard earned money is practically impossible for anyone.

Regards,
VC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell XPS 15 Screen problems in replacement as well
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell XPS 15 Screen problems in replacement as well
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many issues. Let's number them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

1. Warranty extension by "time in shop or transit."

Keep your receipts, documentation on this. You are far away from the end of warranty and this only comes into play at the end. No one I know automatically changes the end date. Some consumers will be uppity about that.

2. HEAT in such laptops.

This is a known area. Laptops with powerful GPUs will get warm to downright uncomfortable and no matter how much folk like me warn folk off laptops for gaming and write time and time again about heat, folk continue to buy these things.

At no time do we expect the same cool keyboard we had on our desktops. The technology isn't there yet.

3. If the LCD color is off you have to keep it called in and send photos and more.

It's possible this unit does get hot in spots and Dell will maintain that position. Your only choice is to go for a refund and get into another model. If heat is an issue and not gaming, get something with onboard graphics. They tend to run cooler but not cold.
Bob

Collapse -
Help required - need to buy a new laptop - Dell refunded!
by vinaychugh / October 23, 2011 4:50 AM PDT

Hi Proffitt
Thanks for reply.

Collapse -
What I'm typing on is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 5:03 AM PDT

A pretty nice Samsung RC512. It has similar specs to what you had above except the aluminum case really helps in managing the heat. I've been on the web, email and more for 2 hours and the palm area is cool. The room temp is 70F. I supply this detail so you can see that heat is under control with this model.

The display is far better than my prior dell i15r but still not as nice as an Apple. However I couldn't go for the apple since it is missing dedicated page up and down keys. These are used a lot by me so while I could press option+arrow, I can't bring myself to move to that today.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.