Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell XP Instal Discs

So quick background. Doing computer work for extra cash and I've quickly realized people don't keep any cd's that come with thier computer (most I've seen is keeping bell or rogers cds). So we have 3 Dell's mie is running a retail copy of xp and the other two have an instal off the same OEM cd. So this next computer I'm working on is a Dell running XP and I just need to know if I use the XP cd I have will it work or will I run into a nightmare with the serials. I know with my retail copy of XP it can be used on two computers (I've done it once but the other computers long gone now) So is this just the same with OEM discs or can it be used on any Dell system? Also will that Dell's serial key work if I'm being buged to enter one? (which I wasn't on the last two).

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell XP Instal Discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell XP Instal Discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easy to fix.

In reply to: Dell XP Instal Discs

With each Dell you have to look to if they allow you to create the restore CD/DVDs. This is the NEW way of doing things today. Some owners won't so they get to call Dell and order the restore CDs. I no longer bother to try to use other CD/DVDs but just sigh and say we'll get them on order. It just gets tacked onto the bill and is far cheaper than a full copy of XP and the hours you spend finding drivers.

However there are new to this business that will attempt to get around this so they'll fume, fuss, complain bitterly it shouldn't be so. Give those newbies a few years and they'll get worn down and implement some process to make this go a lot easier. Again, the newbie will act surprised about missing restore media or not know to look to the machine for a way to create such. This newness does wear off.
Bob

Collapse -
So basicaly...

In reply to: Easy to fix.

Theres a way to use some program to burn a cd that will bring xp to a fresh state but have all the drivers from the previous instal? (If I'm getting this corectly)

Collapse -
And such would be...

In reply to: So basicaly...

On each maker's web site for the product in question. As a service provider that provider (you?) should look into that.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay

In reply to: And such would be...

I'll see what I can find. I'm not aware of the computer but I'm pretty sure it's an opteron or something like that. I'm just used to the old activation process and have just started doing this so I'm kinda clueless as to what can and can't be done besides the simple windows is usualy only licensed to one computer ad your stuk usig a disc that came with your computer or you purchesed yourself.

Collapse -
And all that activation, CD key stuff is a non issue.

In reply to: Okay

The restore CDs, Dell's reinstall procedure (from dell.com) is what we use. However there are always new staffers that will try it some new way.

Collapse -
Here's an article on Dell's site...

In reply to: And all that activation, CD key stuff is a non issue.

For anyone else who has troubles. I think I've got an idea of what to do and I wont know exactly what till I have the system but thanks for the help because it's pointed me to this article which should basicaly sum up how to simpily do this on any Dell (and also made me realise how to fix another computer that I've been trying to for a long time). So here's the link and if I need further assistance I will post here or if anyone else needs further assistance I erge to do so.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=45FAC9DF3456B193E040A68F5A285493&doclang=en

Collapse -
That applies to "some" of those Dells.

In reply to: Here's an article on Dell's site...

I see another reply and the other method is shared.

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: That applies to "some" of those Dells.

I'm hoping in my caxe that the computer I'm working with isn't older than 5 years because then it should have the dell recovery partition. But yeah this does apply to some not all Dell's. I beleive though my Compaq Presario 5000 (and this was 8 years ago) had a restore partition because I remeber thats how we always instaled Windows ME (which we had to do often, note to all don't buy Compaq) all the time - I think. Plus the Dell Dimension 2400 series I think we got upstairs had the partition and it's like 5 years old. Anyways I'm gonna cross my fingers that when I get the system it'll have the restore partition and it'll be a simple file backup and restore.

Collapse -
This might help

In reply to: So basicaly...

Dell has a hidden partition. Press Ctrl and F11 when you see the Dell screen. Press them at the same time and only once.

or

Request backup disks

Rick

Collapse -
Okay so I learned

In reply to: This might help

That the Dell Optiplex (I think thats what it was) did NOT have a restore partition however my Dell OEM disk worked beautifully and as a result have one happy customer. Thanks to everyone for the help, just thought I'd post the end result just as a referece.

Collapse -
You just have to remember

In reply to: Okay so I learned

That after you re-install or repair the system in a Dell Computer, to install the drivers in the following order from Dell's Website.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.