HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dell wont boot

by nicklaus / March 30, 2010 5:02 PM PDT

Ive been asked to try to diagnose a problem with a coworkers computer. Its a Dell XPS 630i, CPU E8200. WD 500 hard drive. 2g memory (patriot) OS XP Pro SP3

When I first booted the machine I received an error message that said it could not load system32\drivers\nvgts.sys

It said to run the setup CD and do a repair. Of course Dell didnt issue a XP disk. SO I called them. They said for $22 they'd send a repair disk. Then they would have to "walk" me through the process for another $49.

SO, I figured I'd try to do a clean install of XP Pro.

I made the optical drive the 1st drive for booting, and after going through the normal loading of basic controller files, I get a screen that tells me:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to the computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this error message reboot,

(I rebooted several times, same message)

Then it goes on to tell me to check for viruses, remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers and to see if the hard drive is configured properly.

I did all of that. I even changed out the SATA cable thinking it may be bad.

I felt the hard drive while the machine is booting and I am not feeling anything that would indicate that the hard drive is even working.

Before I rush out and replace the hard drive I thought I'd seek opinions on this issue here.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell wont boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell wont boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"a clean install of XP Pro"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell wont boot

To a SATA hard drive of 500GB does fail. SATA, and drives over 127GB require the CD to be XP SP3 (home or pro).

There also can be issues with that much RAM so rather than duplicate all that I'll stop at the first item in your post that we know doesn't work.
Bob

Collapse -
sp3
by nicklaus / March 31, 2010 2:28 AM PDT

Rhe CD is in fact XP Pro SP3

Collapse -
Roadblock number 2. XP and SATA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: sp3

Since XP knows nothing about SATA drives tell how you added support for that. Google this -> XP SATA FLOPPY INSTALL for more details if you need to catch up.
Bob

Collapse -
No floopy drive
by nicklaus / March 31, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Im thinking about taking the hard drive out, and installing it into another machine and formatting it and trying a fresh install. I know that the error message that was intitially given is a compatability problem, but Im curious as to why it ran great for 2 years prior to crashing.

Collapse -
Not told.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: No floopy drive

Installing XP (pick any version) is far from automatic. What I find is I need a plan.

But 500GB drives were somewhat rare years ago. I wonder if this machine was upgraded recently and there is more to do such as a BIOS update or other. I can't tell from the story so far.

There are also other issues with installing Windows where we must remember to unplug USB things or suffer install failures.

Why do you think it crashed? Maybe a clue to the install problems is in the story.
Bob

Collapse -
crash
by nicklaus / March 31, 2010 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Not told.

I was not told anything about how or why it crashed. I am currently doing a long format on the hard drive in another machine. (taking longer than I thought). There are no USB devices on the machine. mouse/keyboard/monitor are all that are plugged in. Mouse is PS2.

As I go about re-installing windows, I wonder just how propriatary Dell systems are. Im a firm believer in buying local and not supporting the big boys. Why? Because they completely tie the hands of anyone who wants to work on them. Im hoping that this reinstall after wiping the hard drive works. If not, heck, throw a decent MOBO in this thing and use the Video Card and other hardware to maintain the system they started with.

Collapse -
The story is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: crash

Important. I never have a problem installing but as noted I know I need an install plan. The story so far is spotty to missing. Who's to know how the SATA drive is getting XP support. That's something XP just doesn't do without help.

That's why I asked how this was supported. It worked before is not a good answer. We have to deal with now.

As to proprietary I haven't seen that issue with the last decade of Dells. Something's amiss but the story is missing so I'm left to wonder if it's the same old issue of SATA and XP.
Bob

Collapse -
No floppy drive?
by Edward ODaniel / March 31, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: No floopy drive

Does that mean that you didn't bother looking at what Bob Suggested?

I will be a bit blunter - If you do not have a floppy drive you might have to put the necessary SATA drivers on a CD so you can press the F6 key when offered the opportunity to install mass storage drivers.

You might also check in the CMOS Setup to see if there is an option for SATA to emulate IDE.

Windows XP does not "see" SATA drives until YOU, the installer, provide them for the installation.

Collapse -
Floppy
by nicklaus / March 31, 2010 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: No floppy drive?

I will try the floppy install when I get home from work tonight. I am curious though as to why the SATA driver preinstall isnt always an issue. Ive build several machines that utilize SATA drives and I dont recall ever having to do anything special to get XP Home OR Pro onto the machine and have the entire HD available for storage.

Collapse -
next...
by nicklaus / April 3, 2010 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Floppy

Using nlite, I created a bootable CD with the nvidea drivers on it as per the instructions after googling how to create a bootable CD in leau of a floppy. Now I have a message that states NTLDR is missing. I am curious if I was to do the same operation with Nlite that added the SATA drivers to my bootable XP CD if adding the NTLDR file to the CD if the system would boot to the Optical drive and continue on normally.

Collapse -
Which still sounds proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: next...

I re-read the posts and miss what version XP CD you have. I do read you tried nlite but that fails on big hard drives when the source CD is less than SP2 even if someone slipstreams in drivers and service packs.

I feel for those that repeat what I see failing out there.

Is there any chance of a proper install routine? Google "How to install XP onto a SATA HARD DRIVE with a Floppy drive."

Collapse -
PS. Yes I did read a XP SP3 CD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2010 5:32 AM PDT

But the use of NLITE taints all this. I wonder if it's a real or made CD.

Collapse -
next step
by nicklaus / April 3, 2010 1:05 PM PDT

Once I used NLITE to create a bootable CD with XP Pro SP3 with the SATA drivers installed, I was optimistic that the computer would boot, since all that was missing was the SATA drivers.

Now the machine needs the NTLDR file. Will slip steaming the NTLDR file onto yet another freshly created bootable CD do the trick?

Collapse -
That's a known failed method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2010 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: next step

"used NLITE to create a bootable CD with XP Pro SP3 with the SATA drivers installed"

Sorry but I had to have the real XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD to do this install. No patch known could fix that.

Glad you were honest enough to share you have the older XP CD and are trying to create a new XP CD.

Here's what you need to do. Get a real bona fide made by Microsoft XP CD that is marked XP SP2 or XP SP3. Then XP is ready for SATA and drives over 127GB. There are CORE FILES (no I never investigated which and have watched others lose months trying to replace such files) that were updated.
Bob

Collapse -
XP disk
by nicklaus / April 4, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

The XP disk I am using is authentic. It says Windows XP Professional. Includes Service Pack 3 Version 2002. SO, if I have that correct disk, where should the NTLDR file be?

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: XP disk

It's taken this many posts to nail down you have the right CD. But that's half the battle. You've gone off and played with NLITE.

Why not install XP the old fashioned way?

I'm duplicating 10s of thousands of posts but in short we either enable IDE emulation in the bios then boot the XP SP3 CD (pro or home doesn't matter!) then delete what partitions we found on the target disk and then create a new partition with the XP installer and then let it rip (install.)

If you don't have a machine with IDE emulation then you use the floppy disk install mode.
Bob

Collapse -
no OS mentioned?
by nicklaus / April 4, 2010 3:17 AM PDT

In both my first and second post, I tell that Im using XP Pro SP3. Am I missing something here?

Collapse -
No. But I am.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: no OS mentioned?

I've lost how many times folk go down this path and we spend 20 posts trying to find out what XP CD they have. ""Im using XP Pro SP3" does not answer this question.

As long as I don't get a clear answer or see replies about NLITE then I'm never sure.

The detail matters and why I persist until it is clear we have the right CD.
Bob

Collapse -
Tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

Reply to your top post when the forum bottoms out.

Collapse -
error
by nicklaus / April 4, 2010 3:31 AM PDT

Ok, I reformatted the SATA 500G hard drive in a different machine. Using the ORIGINAL XP Pro SP3 disk, I attempted an install. After all of the drivers are installed, I get the original blue screen error which states "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check foir viruses on your computer. Removed any nesly installed Hard Drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check the hard drive for corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8d2524, 0XC000034, 0X00000000, 0X0000000).

Earlier I had attempted to use the Original XP Pro SP3 disk on a different Seagate 160 SATA drive and the same error as above came up.

How can I do a chkdsk/f without being able to get to a dos prompt?

Collapse -
"Ok, I reformatted the SATA 500G hard drive in a different m
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: error

"Ok, I reformatted the SATA 500G hard drive in a different machine. Using the ORIGINAL XP Pro SP3 disk, I attempted an install"

Sorry this is not the procedure I noted. I never format the drive ahead of the XP install because the partitioning can be incorrect and we'll get NTLDR and many other failures.

This is why I boot the XP CD and delete the partitions using the XP installer. Then using the XP installer create a new partition and let XP format the drive. If you want to repeat that lesson go right ahead.
Bob

Collapse -
never format
by nicklaus / April 4, 2010 4:19 AM PDT

How do I boot with the XP CD and delete the partitions using XP Installer?

Collapse -
Pictures?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: never format
Collapse -
assuming
by nicklaus / April 4, 2010 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Pictures?

Im familiar with that part of the installation procedure. Now I just need to digure out how to get "BY" the error message so that the CD will begin the boot precess to get to that screen.

Looks like I'll have to invest in a floppy drive.

Collapse -
Re-read your posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: assuming

If the CD is not booting then we fix that. To get to the step 4 and if you are telling me it errors out just getting to that step 4 it means the machine is in need of repair.

It's been a long discussion with a long number of posts just to get the right CD off the hit list and then finding that you may have some odd install methods so here we are and now I think you are revealing the XP CD is not booting.

The usual fix for that is a new CD/DVD drive. You find those stop booting as they get a few years old.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.