Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell vs Sony Viao?

by breed / December 31, 2004 2:32 AM PST

Does anyone have the definitive answer on which is the better, Dell Dimension 8400 Series or Sony VGC-RA820G. Both Have Windows XP Media Center ED 2005. Any good advise from those that know?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell vs Sony Viao?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell vs Sony Viao?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sort of an answer
by steve66 / January 14, 2005 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: Dell vs Sony Viao?

I don't have quite the sony you are considering -- mine is the RS720G. I did have a Dell that served me faithfully for four years-plus. But, after reading about some of the support issues with Dell, parts shortages, order mixups and whatnot, I decided to walk into a store and buy the sony because
1) you know exactly what you are getting, and you get it at your convenience and
2) if you don't like it, you can take it back. (14 days for circuit city).

I have been delighted with the Sony so far. Bought it in November.

Collapse -
Dell vs Sony Viao
by HP_Fan / March 18, 2005 6:10 AM PST

I would pick Viao. The best is HP. Dell give you nothing but trouble. All Dell coustomers have been cheated with a bad computer.

Collapse -
Vaio may be better, depends on what you want
by Sat Kartar / March 18, 2005 10:03 AM PST

I went through the same decision process beginning last December and went with the ra820g in February, and am very happy with choice, however, it depends on what you are looking for. I wanted the "near silent operation" of the Sony and am not doing anything (e.g., high end gaming or graphics) that the vaio does not fly through. That is to say, specs may be a little better overall on the 8400 (e.g., DDR2 RAM at 533 MHZ is available), but not to the extent that I expect to ever notice. The default graphics card is even a little better on the VAIO I think (300 LE instead of 300 SE on the Dell), although with the 8400 you have the option to upgrade the graphics card if that is something you need.

What was also important to me was to have the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard installed (by a technician on the day of purchase so I could keep the warranty)--to me it seems silly to go with integrated audio and it's fair to say that the Sony speakers are mediocre. I think one point that may be overlooked is that you can modify the Sony to your specifications via the Geek Squad at Best Buy or whereever (I bought mine over the internet from jrworld) and even possibly have more choices; for example, with regards to ATI graphic cards, Dell lets you choose between the X300 and the X800; however, with the Sony you could swap out the X300 for an X600 or X700 and have it installed on the day of purchase without voiding the warranty.

The other obvious consideration would seem to be the tv tuner card, which I confess is something I am not planning to explore till later; but from what I've read, the Gigapocket card on the Sony (if that's the right way to say it) is not as good as Hauppauge cards (which I believe are available on the Dell), about which the word uniformly has been quite superlative from consumers.

Also picky things like USB inputs may matter to you, a number of folks have complained bitterly about the angle of entry on the front of the 8400.

Also, the VAIO has to go back to Sony for repairs I'm told due to propietary parts whereas the Dell uses standard parts that more likely can be fixed in-shop. So unless you plan to have a back-up computer as I do, the Sony could be less convenient to fix.

So as always but nowadays more and more as the specificity of technology grows, it depends on the feature set you want. The wisdom a geek once shared with me, however, that I still live by when choosing electronics is to decide your priorities and give preference to a smaller feature set that clearly excels in the areas most important to you over a swiss-army-knife type of device that does everything but nothing more than moderately well, and may even miss the bus on what matters most to you.

Collapse -
Get Dell
by nerdyboy1234 / March 19, 2005 10:11 AM PST

depends. Sony is more for multimedia purposes. Dell is for every day use. however dell has better choice of graphics card. Sony is more expensive than dell. Dell also has option of ddr2. i would suggest getting the dell. but its really up to u. Do not get HP. They suck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.