Peripherals forum

General discussion

Dell vs HP color laser printer - or just an inkjet?

Our trusty HP Deskjet 682c has finally stopped feeding paper (even by hand). It is time to get a new printer.

We will be using this printer at home. Kids like to print items in color from the web and games, adults usually printing articles and the like. Rarely print photos, if ever.

So, if we print less than 1000 pages in a month, is it better to get a color laser or an inkjet?

Will a color laser printer last longer than an inkjet?

If we go for an inkjet - Canon MP600 or HP something?

If we go for color laser - Dell 3110cn or HP 2600n?

Willing to spend up to $500 for printer. Would like duplex, but willing to handfeed for second pass. Text quality needs to be excellent.

Suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell vs HP color laser printer - or just an inkjet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell vs HP color laser printer - or just an inkjet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a nod.

In reply to: Dell vs HP color laser printer - or just an inkjet?

My neighbor saw our hp k550 and liked it. My dad has same. From 139 to 199 and quite nice output. Faster than most and well built.

Bob

Collapse -
Options...

Inkjet or laser, you may like both, but overall, the color laser will cost less to run, as ink carts are downright expensive over a short period of time. I think you'll find either the HP or Dell models will do fine under laser, but Dell maybe slightly more expensive as well for consumables. Plus, with a HP model you can practically get supplies more readily locally. The Canon models do quite well, so IMHO a Canon or HP should be amongest the models to select from and lean towards laser. At around 1k pages or less a month that really is alot when you think about it and again the laser maybe better to handle those demands. Shop around, but at $500 you find some laser on sale or online reasonably priced as well as maybe any inkjets. As another option get a color inkjet on the cheap but also a b&w laser for heavy text demands.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell Photo 964 Combo

I purchased a Dell Photo 964 printer. Will never buy another Dell printer. You can only buy their ink. And the machine drinks ink as fast as you can load a cartridge. Besides, the ink smears, if it contacts any moisture, even after several hours of drying. If you would like a nearly-new Dell printer, come and get mine - it's free for the taking!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.