Desktops forum

General discussion

DELL VS. APPLE

by itsnowGOHTIME / July 29, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

Hi. I am off to high school and i'm wondering about which new desktop to buy. I'm not a SERIOUS serious gamer. I am wondering about these desktops.

Dell: Well, the whole XPS line, preferably XPS 700. I had experience with dell and it is good!

Apple: I'm not sure if the Mac mini is very good, so I think the Power Mac G series looks good. My friends say that apple is the best, though i don't trust it because i need to buy new software for it. (microsoft word works on it?) I have never tried apple before.

So basically, XPS vs Mac G. What do YOU think?

P.S. Price is about the same.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL VS. APPLE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL VS. APPLE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to compare the supplied OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: DELL VS. APPLE

If not a gamer the Macosx may be the winner since it is not under attack like Windows. With the Windows based PC I have to add antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware, scan almost daily and use any other browser plus hunt down drivers from time to time.

If I had a choice...

Bob

Collapse -
CHOICE ?
by Scrotes4Life / July 29, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

You're off to high school and these are your options? Flip a coin.
What are your options going to be when you begin college?

Collapse -
Mac All the Way!!!
by mike818181 / July 29, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

Get the Mac with the Intel chip. You can get Windows and OS X to run on the same machine using bootcamp.

Also, most schools will have discounts on software... Apple gives major discounts to schools and universities, Microsoft gives free software to students of some universities.

Nothing against the DELL, but the Mac is certainley a well engineered product. Period.

Ps: If you go with XPS, be sure that you get a beast of a system (2GB RAM, 3Ghz Processor, atleast 100GB) because the next version of Windows (vista) is a Hogger!!!

Collapse -
get the OS your school recommends
by ramarc / July 29, 2006 9:38 AM PDT

you'll be out-of-luck if the school uses and supports windows but you get a mac. same is true vice-versa.

Collapse -
Comparing Apples to Lemons
by timbrewolf1 / July 29, 2006 10:25 AM PDT

No contest dude. Apple's realcore. I've used a variety of Apple computers over the years. But my personal machine, right now, is a 12 year old 7100 which operates quicker than my new Compaq laptop. And the responder who said that they had to do the firewall dance is absolutely right about anything PC. I actually have to tear down the system and reinstall XP once every 3-6 weeks just to keep it running. Spyware, virus's, trojans, etc. all target the PC - only a few have ever targeted the Apple Mac.

Here are some real stats.
Compaq Laptop (new)
Boot up: 6 minutes
Shut Down: 2.5 minutes
Launch Word Processor: 1.5 minutes

Apple 7100 (12 years old, 75 mghz)
Boot up: 2.5 minutes
Shut Down: 7 seconds
Launch Word Processor: 36 seconds

A friend has a G5 Dual processor. He says, Boot up: Less than 30 seconds.

Plus, if you want to do anything creative it will be far easier and faster on a Mac.

A word of caution is in order though. People who use Apple Macs are part of a cult. If you ask them, "Apple or PC?" their eyes glaze over, their mind reels, they froth at the mouth and emphatically state that you must buy a Mac or you will be forever condemned to PC hell. They can hardly believe that you are asking the question.

-~wolf

Collapse -
Mac OS is garbage...
by mikexz / July 29, 2006 12:46 PM PDT

It really doesn't matter, just get the cheaper on for the better performance. OS can be changed at any time so that is not an issue. Personally I prefer linux and Windows XP Pro.

Since you are a student I would defintely recommend dual booting your computer and keeping an extra partition for storing homework. You will defintely need Windows since many programs that you will be using in high school will require Windows.

-Good luck and I hope you make the right choice

Collapse -
DELL...NO WAY
by Sully14 / July 29, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

Most of the time I would choose Apple over a PC, but for school there is a chance you might be required to use a PC. Although Apple is becoming more common and more acceptable, as most needs should be covered by Apple.

But DELL? Choose a different PC if you can't use Apple.
If you choose a laptop, go Toshiba. Best PC bar none..by a longshot. If you decide on a desktop, choose between Sony or IBM. If you want a top performer with games and audio, Sony always excels. Otherwise IBM might be the best value.

AND now a word on Dell:

I've been very unhappy with Dell in many facets and will not go back to them. Good Luck if you ever need any help with Dell support since they don't speak English. Yes they made headlines 3 years ago because they withdrew some of their support from India. ''Dell said it would stop routing some customer-support requests to call centers in India after customers complained about the quality of service'' Since at that time 100%, let me say that again, 100 PERCENT of their customer service was routed overseas.

AND then they added Panama, to handle a chunk of that support they pulled from India, of course. Makes perfect sense! Right?? That way they can get the media to give them great publicity for pulling a small amount of their support from India. Thus making people believe all their support was being pulled from overseas. And if you were actually clever enough to understand only a small portion of their overseas support was being pulled, that you were still duped into believing that all the support being pulled would be replaced with American workers and not Panamanian ones. Michael Dell didn't become a billionaire for no reason, he's good.

So Dell stopped having Indians take your credit card # because they thought they were losing sales. So basically they determined that once they have your business then it was ok to have hard to understand overseas Indians and Panamanians hired at twenty cents an hour address your technical or billing problems. Thus making it alright for your calls to be sent overseas to take your credit card for the incorrect amount they overbilled you, because, of course, they already have your business. They just don't want to lose your sale upfront because of their overseas support...err or lack thereof.

Oh! And lest I forget! Dell, those savvy devils, now has the Indians and Panamanians adopt American names to give the appearance that your calls are received within the U.S. (like the thick accents that makes them impossible to understand isn't a dead giveaway). But they're CHEAPER!

Don't take my word on this, take consumer reports who rates the Apple as number one and then Sony and IBM for the desktop or Toshiba for the laptop consistently well in every category yearly. Once again, the Dell discounts don't come without a cost!

Collapse -
Good question
by jdawgnoonan / July 29, 2006 9:24 PM PDT

I find your question to be similar to a question that I had not too long ago. I am a government IT guy and have been for almost 10 years. I began as a Windows programmer but have transitioned to web programming as the government has mandated that no new applications are to be client based. In the old days a Mac would have not been a good option for me, but since I work on the web that was no longer the case.

I was worried about applications, but in reality the only Windows app that I really cared about was Office. Yes, there is office for the Mac, however you will not be able to use the Windows Office that you already have. Fortunatelly you are a student so Office for Mac will run about $150. Truthfully, most users of Office would probably be fine with OpenOffice (as most people do not use the more advanced features of Office anyway).

I ended up choosing a Mac (a PowerBook) and I have not regretted the choice at all. First of all, the OS is very polished. It is very well designed to not only look very pleasing but to also work very reliably and easily. Most jobs on the Mac take fewer steps than they would on Windows. Also, regardless of what your college "officially supports", your Mac will be right at home. Macintoshes utilize TCP/IP networking which is the standard. Actually my Mac typically can connect to a Windows network faster than my Windows machines can. Plus, now you can run both OSes on the same box. How can you lose there? I personally believe that you will find that you prefer Mac OS to Windows. The final advantage Apple has over Windows (and especially Dell) is that they have the best (highest rated) customer support of any of the computer companies. I have used Apple Care and the support is really excellent. They even ship the correct box to you so that your system is safe when you ship it to them. Also, Macs statistically have fewer issues and longer lifespans.

As a Mac user (I still use Windows too by the way...I am currently beta testing Vista -- OS X is still better, but Vista is a huge improvement over XP) I can tell you up front that most Windows users who slam OS X have never even logged into the system once. If you get more advice from the Windows crowd you should seriously filter out the people who detest OS X because usually those are the people who know what they are talking about the least. Look for the objective posts.

Good luck in your decision.

Collapse -
one more thing that I want to add
by jdawgnoonan / July 29, 2006 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Good question

Mac OS is a Unix variant. Learning the shell in Mac OS is the same as Linux/Unix. Also, Mac OS runs most Linux/Unix applications. On my Mac I run Apache 2, PHP 5, MySQL, and ColdFusion. I have also run Oracle on the system. I have Macromedia Studio, the MySQL development suite, Eclipse, and BBEdit for development tools. What I am trying to say is that if you will be studying IT a Mac will probably prepare you more for the IT market than will Windows. However, you can run Windows too so all of your bases will be covered.

Then there is the other side of Macintosh...iLife and then the professional media tools also created by Apple. Those tools are all top of their class tools (whether they are the tools for normal users or the tools for professional users). In the Windows world you would have to purchase third party tools for those types of functionality. Apple's multimedia tools are amongst the industries best.

Collapse -
Open Office. You have a choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Good question

Since switching to Open Office a few years ago, I haven't found a need to pay up for a new copy of Microsoft for years.

Why not?

Bob

Collapse -
Get a Mac
by jpaluh / July 29, 2006 11:06 PM PDT

Nothings has changed, perhaps XP has gotten worse! A lesson to learn in life is that you should buy the best. Buy a Dell running XP and then you'll have to realize unseen losses like time on the phone with customer service, expensive software to protect against viruses, back up software and frequent crashes. Pay a little more for a Mac and you get an operating system that's been around since 1968! Unix is very stable and powerfull. What is nice is you get all the software you need out of the box. You'll get Appleworks, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto and and iCal all for free and if you want to buy Pages(Apple's new powerfull word processor) for about $49. My advice, start off right and get a Mac! Joe Paluh, Comptia A+

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?