Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell: vostro, latitude or inspiron

by ElizaS / September 9, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

Hi all,
Do you have any experience with Dell notebooks? Any suggestion? Vostro, Latitude or Inspiron?
Thanks for all information,
Eliza

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell: vostro, latitude or inspiron
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell: vostro, latitude or inspiron
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

No Vostro around here yet. At the office we are surrounded with Dells of just about every model (save that new one.)

Not much to write about except they work and occasionally we send one to be fixed. Some have good luck, others will pan the Dell because they had an issue. We don't have any open issues.

Bob

Collapse -
It depends on what you want to do with it.
by fbbbb / September 11, 2007 6:39 AM PDT

No experience with Inspiron and decent experience with just a few Vostros so far, but Latitude is normally what I'd recommend people get when they're unsure just because the enire range is truly 'road ready' as Dell says. They are designed to take a beating, and feature quality build and components. They're not quite Thinkpads (which are overrated in any case) but Dell have definitely done the homework for building robust notebooks for business use. I like the D630 (although it's not the lightest out there) as an all-purpose machine and if you're looking for something very portable the D430 with the Mediabase is an excellent choice. However these Latitude machines don't have things which you equate with an all-rounder with a fun aspect - things like webcam or a gaming-friendly graphics processor. These are for the Serious Internets Wink

I think the Vostro range is pitched right for small businesses and single-person entities who want something which can tackle a bit of fun as well as the serious stuff. The Vostro 1500 which I was testing for potential use in a project is a well priced and well rounded machine. Nothing jumps out at you - like most things Dell - and build quality is fair - around Apple Macbook levels - but it does definitely get the work done, as well as (I said before) some fun. The black-only finish may be restrictive, but since when has a black laptop been totally passe?

If there's one thing I definitely have to say, it's don't skimp on the support (this goes for Inspiron, Vostro or Latitude although the Latitudes have uplifted support). Then the likelihood is high that you'll have a great experience with Dell. A lot of the complaints I see about Dell are people who pay buy the cheapest machine possible, pay nothing for additional support and gripe when things go wrong.

Collapse -
Oh yes...
by fbbbb / September 12, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

If you want something portable, consider the XPS M1330. Certainly the most inspiring design that Dell have put out. There have been murmerings about build quality, but both mine - the very early one and the one which arrived last week have no quality issues. They will actually be replacing some Sony Vaio SZ's once the third one arrives.I really like what Dell are trying to do with this machine.

Collapse -
It would be realy nice to have an edit...
by fbbbb / September 12, 2007 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh yes...

"something portable" should of course read "something very portable"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.