Computer Help forum

Question

Dell Vostro 2420 Won't Recognise Hard Drive

by tommylimo / January 20, 2014 2:17 PM PST

Finally Got It All Apart Just To Find Hard Drive Is Secure And In Place Correctly!! But I Removed It And Re Installed It Just To Find The Same Start Up Message No! Bootable Device Found?? Is The Hard Drive Toast? Or Is Something Else Wrong? Also After Re Seating It I Held It Together To Restart Same Message But When I Felt The H/D It Was Really HOT!! Thanks Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Vostro 2420 Won't Recognise Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Vostro 2420 Won't Recognise Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
HDD diagnostics
by mchainmchain / January 20, 2014 3:18 PM PST

Depending on the exact model of 2420, it comes with several different cpu's. Latest offered was a second generation Intel core i3-2348M processor. System specs?

Looks recent, is it under warranty?

Test: Start BIOS/UEFI by turning on system and enter the magic key (F2?) while manufacturer screen is still displaying and check for HDD being seen and present there. 'No bootable device found' is a standard message when either the boot sector on the HDD is corrupted or is the result of a HDD crash/failure.

If you see the HDD in BIOS/UEFI then it is running. If not, then it is likely gone.

Recover all important files using a LIVE CD of LinuxMint here if HDD is live and running: (32-bit or 64-bit) http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=105 or http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=106

Burn the .iso file using native burning program in Win 7 or 8 to blank DVD. Google instructions on how to run a LIVE CD (no install needed) to recover your files.

Collapse -
Hitting F2
by tommylimo / January 20, 2014 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: HDD diagnostics

Hard Drive Is There!! Now What? Also My Son Dropped It would That Have Anything To do With This Problem!! Should I Just Get Another Hard Drive? Thanks Tommy

Collapse -
Warranty?
by mchainmchain / January 21, 2014 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Hitting F2

Is it still under warranty?

Follow the instructions above using LinuxMint to recover personal files to an USB flash drive or external drive. Alternative is to remove HDD and place in external drive and copy all needed files to another computer.

First option will allow you to see whether or not you can see your files without removing the HDD. Second option will allow you to repair the MBR or boot sector of the drive.

Laptops require special handling and care. No drops, no spilled liquids, no stepping on, always put in hibernate before moving such to a new location, replacing original battery when needed, etc., unlike desktops, which are not portable and use an external power supply.

Merely tossing the laptop onto the back seat of a car whilst it is running can/will damage the HDD.

Collapse -
It was DROPPED?
by Willy / January 21, 2014 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Hitting F2

Having followed the posts, I find that upon reading it was dropped just isn't good. Unless, it fell in a cushioned pillow or feathers(get the idea) then recovering a dropped HD is only hoping for the best. You should at this time only try to recover any data if possible. Otherwise, anything you do recover is happenance and then get another HD replacement. As for warranty, start the process, they may ask you to use the maker diags to test and have results posted or forwarded. Whatever the result, you send it back and hope they replace it or similar or suggest what's covered or not. Continued reading seems to support that final analysis.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Did you
by Jimmy Greystone / January 20, 2014 10:24 PM PST

Did you reinstall the OS after replacing the HDD? Unless you got a replacement drive from Dell and they told you it was already imaged for your system, it's just a blank drive that you need to partition, format and install the OS on.

Collapse -
This Is The Original Hard Drive
by tommylimo / January 20, 2014 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Did you

Never Removed Or replaced This Hard Drive!! Thanks Tommy

Collapse -
Okay, then
by Jimmy Greystone / January 21, 2014 9:20 AM PST

Okay, then given you mention your kid dropped the unit... You're probably looking at needing a new HDD. Drop damage is really unpredictable because it depends on what component(s) took the brunt of the kinetic force from the drop. In your case, it would appear to be the HDD, which probably suffered a head crash when it was dropped. Drop damage also voids any warranty coverage, so you can try and slip it past someone, but you're only going to fool people who really are the sort who need a diagram to figure out which end of a screwdriver is up or the people who just don't care. Neither one is someone you want within 10ft of your laptop.

So mchainmchain is pretty much spot on with his advice about how laptops should remain completely stationary while turned on. You can get away with putting the unit into only sleep mode to safely transport it as opposed to hibernate, but basically everything else said is bang on with the possible exception of if you have a SSD. Since there are no moving parts with a SSD, you can safely walk around with it. Well, safely in that you're not going to cause a head crash. I still wouldn't recommend walking around with a laptop while it's turned on just as a general rule. It's just asking to be dropped and the display panel to crack or something even worse to happen.

Collapse -
Sounds Like A Consensus That Its The HDD
by tommylimo / January 21, 2014 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Okay, then

So Without Further Discussion I Will Get a New HDD And Keep You Guys Posted On My Progress!! Thanks For All Your Help!!! Tommy!! Happy

Collapse -
Answer
HDD hot?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 3:07 AM PST
Collapse -
t87ssg@aol.com
by tommylimo / January 21, 2014 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: HDD hot?

No It's Still In The Laptop!!

Collapse -
(NT) I'd remove it for a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: t87ssg@aol.com
Collapse -
(NT) And How Would I Do That??
by tommylimo / January 21, 2014 11:30 AM PST
Collapse -
From the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 1:59 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?