Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop Memory Upgrade Problem

by furjesakos / July 26, 2009 3:49 AM PDT

Hello guys Happy
I got some question please...
The story in short: I got a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop,what i would like to upgrade by changing my old pair of 2Gb (original 2x 1GB)memory to a new pair of 4Gb higher speed 800MHz (PC2-6400 / 4GB / 800Mhz / DDR2 / 200pin SODIMM / Computer Memory) if that possible. Now the reason, why i am asking you guys, because i have spoken to the Dell customer support, and they said is possible, but i have to remove the old memories, and install a new pair. that would not be a problem, but i have trouble to find the best memory for my laptop, because all the test what i read on forums, they said my laptop is NOT capable more than 2Gb. Therefore, i got so confused.(Confused.com would not be the best option Grin ) so i thought, i know, i ask You guys instead , for a more sensible professional opinion.
Q1: is my laptop capable the above mentioned memory (4Gb etc)
Q2: what is the best memory what i can choose out of the memories what is on the market?
Q3: where can i find it out, is my laptop take 200 pin SODIMM? or is 240 pin?

Thank you for your time and help
Kind regards
Akos Furjes

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop Memory Upgrade Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop Memory Upgrade Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keep it simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 3:53 AM PDT

Get the sticks from companies that send you the right sticks. Crucial.com does this quite well.

HOWEVER I see so little payback from 2 to 4GB that you won't find me doing such an upgrade unless I could skip a cheap meal.
Bob

Collapse -
800MHz
by furjesakos / July 26, 2009 4:32 AM PDT

Hello Bob, Thank you for your quick answer...
well, i have tried that site, and the site said my laptop capable only 2Gb...
but an "engineer" from dell said is capable for 4gb, now a pair of 4Gb, i can buy less than

Collapse -
Try the other site.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: 800MHz

There are folks that will roll the dice, test their luck at going over the published supported values. If crucial does not list it there is a slim chance that some but not all machines in that make, model support more than documented amounts of RAM.

Given the story I take it that you will accept the risk it won't work.
Bob

Collapse -
What do your system DOCS tell you ?
by VAPCMD / July 26, 2009 4:51 AM PDT

Believe it indicates MAX RAM is 2GB so the rest is moot.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
original information from the book
by furjesakos / July 26, 2009 5:24 AM PDT

Memory module connector two SODIMM connectors
Memory module capacities 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB
Memory type 1.8-V SODIMM DDR-2
Minimum memory 256 MB
Maximum memory 2 GB

but the dell guy said to me, because the BIOS update what they realised it allow me to get 4Gb
but i did the BIOS update, re-searched on sites, but they still say 2 Gb max...

Collapse -
Let's try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 5:49 AM PDT

No one will guarantee this will work out. Is it worth the gamble?

Collapse -
hm... i dont know :)
by furjesakos / July 26, 2009 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's try this.

well, i don't know, it is worse or not, but according to system test, what i recently runned, my memory not even running 533MHz, as it sould be, the laptop start slowed down, i tried to doing all the normal procedure (clearing all the rubbish, temp files, registry, etc)
but is no difference so far
i also wanted to put 1 graphics card in it, but i find out is impossible on laptops Sad
mine is built in Sad
i really don`t have the money now, to get a brand new laptop that is where the idea come, to upgrade the memories, for high speed and double it to speed up a bit the laptop Happy
or any better idea?

Collapse -
Good thing you asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: hm... i dont know :)

Putting faster ram into this machine will not double its speed. In fact it should benchmark the same as before.
Bob

Collapse -
2-4GB
by furjesakos / July 26, 2009 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Good thing you asked.

i mean by double it, from 2Gb to 4GB...
how is that possible?
so do you think is not worse to upgrade it all?
what can you suggest to get a bit better performance?
is looks to me the memory going anyway, because is not running on full speed anyway, therefore i thought, if i change it, i change it bigger and more higher speed...
or there is anything, how i can get the full speed of the old memory out again?

Collapse -
This is not easy for some to accept.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: 2-4GB

Putting faster RAM into a machine does not speed up the machine. Your machine has a certain speed on the memory bus and that's that.

Since we have fine, long discussions about "How do I speed up my PC?" I will leave that to those discussions rather than duplicate all that here.

Back to the speed of the RAM. No gain there. And having seen ram increase from 2 to 4 would it upset you if you installed 4GB and Windows turned around and reported 2.75GB RAM? Links to such -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Windows+2.75+GB+RAM

I think your idea was a good one but reality is you won't be doubling the RAM.
Bob

Collapse -
The mfg SPECs says 2GB MAX, Crucial says 2GB MAX
by VAPCMD / July 26, 2009 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: 2-4GB

and Bob says the performance difference between 2GB and 4GB is virtually NADA.

If you want to try it despite the fact it shouldn't work or pay off as indicated... feel free to give it a try and let us know.

My guess is you'd be far better off getting your system cleaned up by removing unneeded programs running at Startup, making sure you have enough disk space, checking the BIOS settings to make sure everything is set correctly and defraging.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
i see
by furjesakos / July 26, 2009 7:07 AM PDT

oke, thank you guys for all the support, done all the de-fragmenting, and stuff to, the only thing i did not, to erase the vista from the laptop, and put it up again... to be honest, my last pc run for 4 years, without put new windows on it, i regularly keep cleaned the registry too, de-fragmenting, etc... but for some reason the laptop recently getting slower, and after numerous different testing, the only thing, what the test says is only one issue, about the memory running on 493MHz, instead of 533...
anyway, thank you all your time and research and Help,
i consider to erase the windows, and start again everything,
but i don`t think so that will solve the speed difference on the memory...

Collapse -
sorry for posting on old topic
by macrofeet / August 17, 2011 2:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is There A Question Here?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

If so, please let us know..

On the other hand, if you're just trying to tell the original poster that you've got lots of RAM, and since the original poster hasn't visited these forums since July 2009, is there a reason why you posted this information?

And just a note: The computer and motherboard mentioned in this thread don't support a single 4 GB RAM module.

Grif

Collapse -
WrOnG
by macrofeet / August 18, 2011 12:31 AM PDT

I found this thread from a search result on google i was looking to see if anyone had used a single 4gb chip with a vostro 1000 as i wanted to upgrade to 8gb i left a comment to help others who might also do a google search and come across this old thread.

You clearly did not read the full post if you don't know what laptop was mentioned it was a vostro 1000, which i am currently using with 4gb so it clearly does support at least 4gb.

Collapse -
Not According To Dell or Crucial
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 18, 2011 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: WrOnG

Although the TOTAL amount of RAM may be 4 GB (depending on which version of the Dell documentation you look at, most actually say 2 GB TOTAL), if you read my post, as well as your first, the computer doesn't support a "SINGLE" 4 GB stick of RAM, which is what you suggested trying when you stated "might try a 4gb chip sometime". See the links below about the Dell Vostro 1000 specs.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1000/en/OM/html/specs.htm#wp1054574

http://www.dell.com/us/en/bpi/notebooks/vostronb_1000/pd.aspx?refid=vostronb_1000&s=bpi

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Vostro%201000&Cat=RAM

http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/Dell-Vostro_Notebooks-Vostro_1000-memory.htm

Indeed, if you're using a 32 bit operating system, anything more than about 4 GBs is a waste anyway.. The operating system won't recognize or use it.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if you want to try something that's not supported, go for it.. I just stated that the larger 4 GB module wasn't supported.

Hope this helps.

Grik

Collapse -
you edited your last post
by macrofeet / August 18, 2011 2:05 AM PDT

really low to edit your post dude i quit this lame forum

Collapse -
I Edited Nothing
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 18, 2011 2:12 AM PDT

I don't have the ability to edit anyone's posts, including my own..

I can delete them, but not edit...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
There are TWO folk that can edit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2011 2:17 AM PDT

That's Lee Koo and Marc. These folk always leave a remark when such an edit happens.

There's a reason there is no edit. It means that no one can change the content. The moderators can delete, but that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
okay fair enough
by Macrof / August 19, 2011 1:24 AM PDT

okay however,

"On the other hand, if you're just trying to tell the original poster that you've got lots of RAM, and since the original poster hasn't visited these forums since July 2009, is there a reason why you posted this information?"

Calling me a troll on my first post is still not nice

Collapse -
Read this thread again and found no troll.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: okay fair enough

Until you wrote that word. I do see you gaffed and dredged up an old post but folk do make that mistake.

Let's call this discussion closed since all that was done to point out that it's an old post and that no where was there a support document from Dell or Crucial in regards to that ram size.

Thanks and feel free to open a new discussion.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!