Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Dell/ Vista stuck on black screen

by aerobaker / January 15, 2009 8:36 AM PST

Dell Inspiron, dual core processor, 3 gb RAM, 3 months old, Vista Home Premium.
After restarting the laptop it was stuck in a "not responding" mode. The desktop looked fine but no response to any programs.
Shut down and starting up in safe mode- no change. I attempted to start up in "Last known good configuration". Ever since, all I get is a black screen with a white cursor.
I tried "safe mode with comand prompt", "Repair your computer", "Low resolution video"-same results. I can't even get back to the desktop or to some command prompt. Need help please

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell/ Vista stuck on black screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell/ Vista stuck on black screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 10:20 AM PST

Try unplugging USB devices.

Also, I ran into this if I hibernate, remove power, upgrade the RAM and try to start up. It hangs big time. I never found a good fix but to put the RAM back to its original size, shutdown proper and then upgrade the RAM.

Bug?
Bob

Collapse -
USB
by aerobaker / January 15, 2009 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: Just a test.

the only USB device I had plugged in was for the mouse. I unplugged that, but it changed nothing. I can hear it spool up, but it stays on the black screen

Collapse -
F8 F8 F8 F8 F8
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: USB

After the POST screen (which is NOT the Microsoft Windows screen) I tap F8 about twice a second to get a start menu and try last known good configuration, safe mode, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
F8
by aerobaker / January 16, 2009 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: F8 F8 F8 F8 F8

I accessed that particular screen too. From there I went through most of the options, without success. It always ends up on the black screen. Even when I tried to "safe mode with command prompt" it does not show anything. So even if I knew what command to type, I couldn't.

Collapse -
Since no command prompt
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: F8

You have to consider what has to be done next.

Collapse -
Just to clarify...
by AkulaTheDeathScythe / January 15, 2009 2:24 PM PST

the computer posts but when windows boots all you get it the black screen with the mouse? Or are you able to log in if you are using a password proteted user account?

Collapse -
black screen
by aerobaker / January 15, 2009 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Just to clarify...

I don't get the option to choose an account. The last thing I see is the screen showing "Microsoft Windows" with the little moving bar underneath. All looks normal up to that point, but then it goes to and stays at the black screen with the white cursor. I can move the cursor with the touchpad, but that's all I can do. I've tried to start it with the recovery disc, but I can't access it.

Collapse -
Black screen
by shepardc / January 16, 2009 7:02 AM PST

If you can get to safe mode, go to system restore and restore to a point a day or two prior, when the system was working well.

I've done this twice in the last couple weeks on a laptop and it's worked both times to fix the black screen problem. I haven't determined what driver is causing it, but pretty sure it's a corrupt driver that will need to be restored.

I posted a similar response to a similar thread earlier today.

Collapse -
last know config
by aerobaker / January 16, 2009 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Black screen

I was able to get to the "last know good configuration" option. It ends up the same - black screen. I' wearing out the power button, shutting down and restarting this ting.

Collapse -
Now it will not power up
by aerobaker / January 16, 2009 9:04 PM PST

I shut it down last night, this morning it will not power up. Plugged in or not, there is absolutely no response to the power button.
I'm at a loss here

Collapse -
Dell Laptop
by carolb152001 / January 16, 2009 9:18 PM PST

I have a dell laptop that just stopped one day and we tried to get it to start up again but the screen comes up black and then goes with lines re back and green and white is there any information you can give me to try and bring it back or is it crashed please help before I throw it out, Im having someone looking at it and he thinks the edrive is gone on it I can't send the model yet because its not here but when it comes back I will sure to send it to you when I get it back ty If you can help with this problum caroline

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.