Desktops forum

General discussion

DELL truly the worst computer company on planet Earth?!?

by apemantus / January 15, 2009 3:41 AM PST

I paid for a computer and onsite technical support - that money left my account at the beginning of January. DELL then sent me a computer that did not work at all, turned on and started beeping and that was it. When I spent money telephoning technical support, they asked me to undo the machine as they would not call the engineer out until the problem was identified. Despite my payment for onsite support, this is clearly NOT onsite support so what did I pay for!? Finally, they agreed to send a replacement system. This system will arrive ONE MONTH after the original delivery should have been.

Therefore, because of Dell's incompetence in sending me a faulty machine, I have paid money on telephone calls and I have lost a month when I could have been using the machine. Furthermore, for that month, Dell have had my money while I have had nothing but stress and
hassle. And then I received the following email.

"Mr. ********,

This email is with reference to your complaint that reached our Corporate office. I understand that you had technical issues with the new computer which you purchased, however there is a replacement which is booked under order # **********, the estimated date on the order is on the 9th of February 2009. You can also have the status of the order checked on the Dell website. I understand that you would like to claim a monetary compensation for the time spent in having this issue, I?m sorry that we as a company do not offer compensation or good will to the customers.

Please contact me if you need further assistance in this matter. I would be more than glad to assist you.

Mangala Latha
Executive Support Resolver
Dell Inc.

What planet is DELL on? Their comment that they offer no good will is truly breathtaking! Customer service is NONEXISTENT. There is NO service.

All I can say is NEVER buy from Dell, they are truly abysmal.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL truly the worst computer company on planet Earth?!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL truly the worst computer company on planet Earth?!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
good will to the customers
by Coryphaeus / January 15, 2009 3:45 AM PST

Gotta be a typo. Why didn't you go with IBM? World class service and products.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 3:50 AM PST

Sorry but for 'tort' you see a lawyer. With products you hand the product back and get your money. That's how it works.

Onsite support is grimly expensive. Be sure the next time you sign up for that you get the contract in hand and read if onsite is defined as remote access "it's just like we're there with you" or a warm body.

Today's on site support runs about 120 a hour plus the trip charge so we found it cheaper to replace a machine rather than futz with a fried 4 year old machine!

Collapse -
by apemantus / January 15, 2009 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Tort?

I'm not sure what Tort is (am based in UK), but the refund element is almost beside the point, my gripe is that in failing to honour their obligation (I pay money, they give me working machine), they have cost me money, and time. Even if I returned the machine for a full refund, I am still out of pocket because they gave me a faulty good which it cost time and money to get refunded/replaced. Basically, there is no incentive for them to actually give you a working product other than the PR image it gives them. So I am gonna do my best to smear their image with negativity as a small and pathetic attempt to cost them as much as they have cost me!

Collapse -
In the UK you still need legal counsel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Tort?
Collapse -
by geekchef / January 17, 2009 5:30 AM PST

Yes, Dell sucks, have a buddy bought a Dell from Best Buy, didn't get any kind of extended warranty or on-site, but the thing froze up a month and a half in. Took it into Best Buy, they said it's out of return, well send it to Dell for you. A week later, comes back, restored, and a balance of 90 bucks on the order. Dell charged him for the restore and shipping. Two days later, same issue, sent it back in and then about a week later, it comes back with a New Motherboard. A week after that, we send it back out because the touchpad is not working, a week later it comes back with another new motherboard. This time it worked for a whole 2 weeks and then the keyboard went out, he went back in, started yelling at the guy at Best Buy, he said he was sorry, but can not exchange it under the manufacturer's warranty and if he had bought their warranty then he could have replaced it a month or so ago, and sent it back to dell for him. We are waiting to see what comes back or if it's working in a couple of weeks.

Collapse -
by rgudipalli / December 13, 2010 5:49 PM PST

hi, I bought a DELL laptop and have similar experience as yours. Could you please give me the email id of the executive (Mangala Latha) that has contacted you? I don't have any other avenue except the customer care number that directs you to probably the most incompetent department on earth. They are not saying anything but "I will look into this and get back to you" or "i will arrange a call back". I would have made nearly 50 calls but nothing has happened so far; it's more than 2 months since they promised me that they would replace my faulty laptop. Please help.

Collapse -
Tech Support from Hell not Dell
by AJShadow / February 28, 2011 10:42 AM PST

You thought you had a bad experience with Dell...

On February 16, 2011 I had one of the worst experiences of my life at the hands of Dell Technical Support when I called seeking help with my new PC.

The nightmare all began when I called 800-999-3355 to get technical assistance with Microsoft Windows Live Mail application. I was requesting that Microsoft Windows Live Mail be configured to the "standard" way rather than the one that was loaded by default when I purchased it from Dell. My request was simple: To configure the task bar on Windows Live Mail to display all the options available through a drop down menu rather than the icon based task bar with just a few options available.
What I got was a total incompetent individual that proceeded to delete all my email accounts (along with years of email folders that I transferred from my old PC). Once I granted Dell Technical Support remote access to my PC, my nightmare began. I was able to watch as the technician systematically began to delete all my email accounts at which point I began to protest and say to her, "why are you deleting my user accounts and folders?" which she responded, "I am not deleting them".
To make a long story short, she not only deleted ALL of my email folders but disabled all my email accounts and then was unable to restore my email accounts OR my folders!! In my frustration I began to yell at her and tell her that she just deleted years worth of email messages and I demanded she restore all my files immediately. At this point she began to run "system restore" only to fail at the attempt to restore my files. Once again I gave her remote access to restore my files, whereupon, she proceeded to restore my system to a week prior with the same results - but by doing this, she also managed to delete many of my other files from the previous week!

I demanded to speak to her supervisor, which at this point she hung up on me and left me with hundreds of lost files and all my email accounts inoperable. THIS WAS NO ACCIDENT.

I called back only to get another technician that knew nothing about my experience so I proceeded to explain my situation from the start. After explaining my situation, I was told that I had no software support coverage and I was on my own, regardless of the fact that Dell was the one that destroyed all my email files.

After speaking to the supervisor I was told that the previous technician did not delete my files and there was no way they would be able to restore them, which is a contradiction in itself!

I was left to my own to setup my email accounts and kiss all my email files good-bye forever.

Thanks to the company from HELL...DELL.

Collapse -
This story
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 10:50 AM PST

Is a lesson about Dell and your backup. Are you telling the forum you didn't restore from your backup system?

Windows Live Mail is something that I'm finding next to amazing when it comes to bad experiences. Even MSFT support can be painful.

Collapse -
Dell Support
by TulsiAtDell / March 2, 2011 12:08 PM PST

Hello AJShadow,
I am from the Dell Social Outreach Services Group handling Customer Queries through Face Book, Twitter and blogs across the Globe. I am really sorry for the poor experience, however we are here to help you. Kindly reach us at @dellcares or for support on this issue.

Collapse -
Learned the hard way
by fjpitz / May 26, 2011 4:28 AM PDT

Took possesion of a Dell Inspiron 2305 in January 2011. Bought it for my wife, she is handicapped and the computer is her lifeline, been on the phone numerous times w/Dell (laugh) customer service starting on the fourth day after the computer was set up.

Graphics card, sound card, problem after problem. Today my wife comes in and it won't power up, everything else is powered on but not her computer, hours later on the phone still speaking with "Jackson," and now its something else and they need to send a tech.

It is obvious that Dell has pushed a lemon here, and I want a replacement (thought that scares me also). I will smear the Dell name every chance and in every conversation I have from this day forward. And when I put my newspaper column together for next week Dell will figure prominently in that.

Never, ever, buy a Dell computer!

Collapse -
Dell is the WORST
by NikkiHinOK / September 26, 2011 8:44 AM PDT

Years ago my mother taught me a great lesson. I watned the new touchscreen from dell for christmas. She decided that it would be a waste of money and bought me an Apple instead. I was very resistant to becoming an Apple fan. Later that year I bought myself a Dell laptop (my second in under three years) and for Christmas the next year bought my son a Dell laptop (Alienware) with the top of the line customer service plan that was offered at the time.

Within six to eight months of buying my laptop it was not working properly. Dell customer service was of no help to me. My mother loved telling me how she had very little problems with her Apple laptop and that when she did, they solved the issue with no problems. Then she asked me if I had ever had any problems with my Apple. Ohhh, you know, it is hard to tell mom your were sooo right. I have never had one issue with my Apple. NEVER.

Two months ago, my son starting having problems with his laptop. I thought that it would be a non-issue since I paid so much extra for the service plan. Boy was I wrong. Poor boy was on the phone for hours, only to be told he would have to wait for them to call back the next day because their shift was over. He waited quitely by the phone for it to ring at the appointed time. Never rang. NEVER.

Two days later he calls back and atleast this person knew what they were doing. Two ours later, with the computer now running, he was told that he would be contacted again the net day for fine tuning. Again, he waited by the phone. Call NEVER came. I wasn't surprised.

Today, waiting for batteries and chargers to come in for our relatively new computers, I was further upset. Upon receiving the shipment, (ordered 09/14/2011 and received 09
/26/2011 with the expeditied shipping fee for 3 days) I called Dell upset to say the least because they did not include one of the batteries I ordered. I was told that I would have to send them a copy of the Packing Slip, they didn't have one. What? It was their company that the order was placed through and their company that sent it, and they didn't have a copy. Just didn't make any sense to me. I mean really they are computerized right!?!?! The gentleman keeps telling me there were only three items on the order. I told him he was mistaken the packingslip and the order both reflected differently. He then proceeded to ask me what the amount was on the packing slip. That is when I really lost it. Dell, like most companies, does not include dollar amounts on the packing slip. When shared this with the customer service representative he said that I was just flat out wrong and hungup.

WOW! After calling back, of course they could not just put me throught to a supervisor, many please hold while I connect you working myself up the chain of command. I finally decided that a different day would be better for me given my progressively worsening temper.

My point to this is, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DELL. Which, considering I am replacing all my office computers soon, actually means a little. However, to DELL, after the sell, obviously means very little.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?