HolidayBuyer's Guide

Dell forum

General discussion

DELL STUDIO 1737 POWER BUTTON WONT START LAPTOP

by agygt4365 / July 31, 2010 9:33 PM PDT

My Dell studio 1737 laptop power button has just stopped working. this is second time this has happened, laptop out of warranty now, can anyone suggest what to do, or has this happened to you before. The laptop hasnt been dropped or damaged in any way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL STUDIO 1737 POWER BUTTON WONT START LAPTOP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL STUDIO 1737 POWER BUTTON WONT START LAPTOP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Over in the Cnet laptop troubleshooting forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

A generic reset is noted and if this was mine I'd do that as well as replace the bios battery and hope it's not the mainboard.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks bob
by agygt4365 / August 4, 2010 8:44 AM PDT

but i didnt understand what ""A generic reset is noted and if this was mine I'd do that as well as replace the bios battery "" means, could you explain further thanks

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2010 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks bob
Collapse -
thanks
by agygt4365 / August 4, 2010 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

followed your instructions about holding power button for one minute without battery, worked a treat, thanks for your explanations

annie

Collapse -
Glad that worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

It's not an always for sure remedy but it has worked often enough that it made it to that forum sticky.

Thanks for the report back.

Collapse -
Power Up Issues
by alex11553 / August 27, 2011 3:30 AM PDT

I've just been through the power up gauntlet with my Dell 1735. The generic reset only works if the power button actually works. If the machine starts using "Media" button, located just above the F5/F6 keys you will need to replace the Power Button. As far as I can tell, these are not available new so, Google Dell 1735 Power Button and you will find them for around $15. Also note that these are sold in pairs; one for each side of the laptop, one controls the WIFI locator and the other is for PWR. The replacement is fairly simple...open the bottom of the laptop; remove the media control panel; remove the Keyboard; remove the button PCBs from either side; unplug the harness and install the new buttons. There are a few more minor steps. Just use the on-line Dell Service Manual.
Bill

Collapse -
a thousand thank you's!
by Julslovesjesus / February 3, 2012 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: Power Up Issues

I've been trying to get my laptop working all day - didn't even realise I could use the media button to turn it on. thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.