Question

Dell Studio 1558

I’ve had a problem with the laptop where the machine does not boot properly. Pressing the on button, causes it to attempt to start up with the screen being unreadable and either just hangs at the (unreadable log in page) or turns itself off.
Out of frustration, I have purchased a HD caddy and tried reading the drive on my work laptop.
It does read the HD but does not show my files.
All that is visible is a folder named “Recovery” ( only contains 183mb) and an “ADRInfos.xml” file.
When I check on properties it says that there is over 6gig of data on there.
Is there anyway I can access this? or is the data lost?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Dell Studio 1558
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Studio 1558
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I see this issue has priors.

Sometimes folk setup Full Disk Encryption or other reasons. Hopefully the owner knows about these choices.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ADRInfos&gl=US finds priors which I will try to avoid duplicating content here.

Try the priors and the recovery software RECUVA.

- Collapse -
Thanks

I don’t remember setting up disk encryption? and those answers on the link you sent do not help me understand the problem.
I’ll have a try with RECUVA... fingers crossed and thanks for trying to help.

- Collapse -
Here's hoping for RECUVA finding the files.

There are too many blown file systems for me to categorize such things. BUT you did mention taht ADRInfos which I take it you were overwhelmed with the priors.

Basically that drive letter you are looking at is the RECOVERY DRIVE and not your old C drive. I never can write that was your old D drive since it could be D to Z. I've seen it at each letter over the years.

OK, I do NOT recommend ANY DISK REPAIR TOOLS. There is only ZUUL (Recuva). Why? Because we must NEVER WRITE TO THE OLD DRIVE because it's our last copy so RECUVA can scan and look for files to be copied out (never writes to the drive it is scanning.)

-> So where is the old C drive? I can't know since the causes are too many from a failed track, blown file system, ransomware and more. Your client has to talk and talk and you listen for clues how this came about. Some users are just users so they won't know if they used disk encryption or a diskette over the years.

CNET Forums