PC Hardware forum

Question

Dell Studio 1555 eSATA/USB powered or not

by Andycb1 / August 9, 2011 11:30 PM PDT

Hi, could anyone tell me if the eSATA/USB port on the Dell Studio 1555 laptop (mine is from 2009) will power an external hard drive connected to the eSATA port (so it's using the eSATA bit instead of the USB bit). I've heard that eSATA by itself wont but the combo port will.

Also, does anyone know what speed the firewire port is because I've searched the manual that came with my laptop and Dell's website and found no information other than that there is one (not exactly helpful).

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Studio 1555 eSATA/USB powered or not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Studio 1555 eSATA/USB powered or not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Wag
by Bob__B / August 9, 2011 11:54 PM PDT

No.....the e-sata port will not power the HD.

You'll need an external power source.

Collapse -
Powered
by Andycb1 / August 12, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Wag

I've found information about this on:
Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATA/USB
Seagate's website http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive/#tTabContentAccessories (look at the bit on the FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Upgrade Cable — Powered eSATA)
And on here http://uk.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/25in-Silver-Power-eSATA-to-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-with-OTB~S2510PESAT

All of these sites say that eSATA/USB combo port is the same as a eSATAp (Powered eSATA) port and so can run an external hard drive without needing an extra power supply. Happy

Collapse -
I have a Dell with the USB combo eSATA port and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2011 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Powered

It did not power an eSATA drive. Mind you the drive was only eSATA. Should be interesting to read if you ever get this to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Buying
by Andycb1 / August 13, 2011 12:22 AM PDT

Ah right, ok, that's not a good sign Sad

I'll probably buy the drive in around October/November time once I've started Uni so if I remember (hopefully I will) I'll update this with if it works or not

Collapse -
Mine works but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Buying

I have 2 cables to connect. However the extra speed wasn't worth the effort and I've moved back to simpler USB 2.0 drives. My main use was to transfer stuff from one machine to another and with DROPBOX and the fact other machines didn't have eSATA the attraction faded.
Bob

Collapse -
Seems like a fun project
by Bob__B / August 13, 2011 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Buying

Combo port + powered esata cable + a powered esata device.....should work......ya right.

Usb2..simple setup....works OK...unless your planning on transferring big time amounts of data....GB's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.