Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Studio 15 vs Acer Aspire 5740/5745G

by Demonizer666 / July 30, 2010 11:45 PM PDT

Okay guys, I want to buy a laptop but i'm confused as to which one is better to suit my needs. I am buying this laptop as a student, for college purposes(assignments, projects etc). I also want to watch movies, surf the net, listen to music and gaming (Not high end games, i'll be playing DotA/Warcraft on it most of the time. Maybe sometimes NFS or CoD).

I've narrowed down to Dell Studio 15 and Acer 5740.
The customized Dell has:-
1) Intel core i5 520M/540M (Whichever is better)
2) 4GB RAM
3) 1080p Full HD LED Display
4) ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 (1GB)
5) 500GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk
6) Studio Design on the front(Customed)

The Acer 5740 has:-
1) Intel core i5 520M
2) 4GB RAM
3) Acer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Studio 15 vs Acer Aspire 5740/5745G
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Studio 15 vs Acer Aspire 5740/5745G
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both are too close in spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 12:36 AM PDT

Look at which offers the longer warranty. As to service, ask folk in your country if they got such. We know that OS support is non-existent so be sure you know that going in.
Bob

Collapse -
Service
by Demonizer666 / July 31, 2010 7:57 AM PDT

Uhm, they say that Dell has better service. I've heard complaints from people who own Acer laptops about the bad service. But then again, that's only if there is something wrong with the laptop.
What if nothing goes wrong with it! Pretty unlikely though..

And yeah, one more doubt, 6GB RAM is overkill or is it okay?
Similarly, which one should i go for :- i5 450M, i5 520M, i5 540M or i7 740QM?

Collapse -
As to the CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Service

The i7 today. My advice on i7 in laptops is ONLY WHEN you are not using it as a laptop. The units I've seen have heat pouring out of them and battery times are lower than the i5.

I travel with an i5 laptop albeit with no 3D chip (games are a non-issue) and it's very very very nice.

If you are going to use it on a desktop with power available from the mains, why not the i7?
Bob

Collapse -
Overheating
by Demonizer666 / August 1, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: As to the CPU.

Well like you said, it tends to heat more and plus i don't think i'll be doing stuff on the laptop that requires i7 (I won't be doing 3-D animation, hardcore gaming etc).
Isnt heat harmful for the laptop?

Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Overheating

Heat is what it is. A product of current, resistance and physics. The i7 has quite a few models but so far every i7 I've tried is not for use on my lap.

I really need to get to the Apple store to try their top end machine. That all aluminum case may help dissipate the heat.
Bob

Collapse -
Original Ques
by Demonizer666 / August 1, 2010 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll write no.

Alright, back to my original ques.. What should i go for then?!

Collapse -
When it comes to games.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Original Ques

You always get the better GPU when other items are nearly equal.

Collapse -
Bump!
by Demonizer666 / August 15, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

*Bump*
PLEASE HELP!!

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2010 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Bump!

I am on travel.

If a laptop, the i5 with ATI Radeon? HD 5650

If a desktop replacement the i7 with ATI Radeon? HD 5650

You won't find me note the i7 for use as a laptop due to reasons of battery time and heat.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!