General discussion

Dell sp 2309w VS NEC ea231 wmi

Hi,
Can anyone give me buying advice on the two monitors.
Both of them are similarly priced. However I have not been able to see the display quality of either of them physically (not available in the local market).
The NEC one is IPS panel but I have heard that it lacks the flagship quality of NEC. So I am a little confused whether to buy a prominent model of Dell or an entry level model of NEC.

Specs:
---------------------<< Dell SP 2309W >>--------------
Display:
-------
Panel Size: 23"
Optimal Resolution: Full HD Plus 2048 x 1152 at 60 Hz
Contrast Ratio: 80,000:1 (typical)
Brightness: 300 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time: 2 ms (typical)
Viewing Angle: 160

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dell sp 2309w VS NEC ea231 wmi
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell sp 2309w VS NEC ea231 wmi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (3000:1 Dynamic)

This and the horrible color gamut number means that this NEC is likely some VALUE DEVICE that most of us should avoid. By spec alone I would not bother with it.
Bob

PS. Sorry but I'll leave definitions of color gamut to others and google.

- Collapse -
Still not very sure

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the reply.
I suggest you read this review of NEC ea231wmi :
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/monitors/2010/01/07/nec-multisync-ea231wmi/1

For dell sp2309w there is a review on cnet itself ::
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-sp2309w/4505-3174_7-33456038.html

My main use: I am basically a computer science student(bachelors). So for most of the time I will be using it for programming etc.
I am no professional photographer.However, photography is my hobby and I do use digital software for image manipulation. So sharpness and color accuracy does mean something to me.

PS. I am not a professional but I know about color gamuts.

- Collapse -
I used your supplied details.

And would not pick the value display. It's your money so make your choice. May advice is to see the displays side by side and pick. If that is not possible ask what the return policy is. The low contrast, low gamut made me write why I would not pick the value unit.
Bob

- Collapse -
The main problem..

The main problem is that I cannot see any of the two monitors(even individually ).
The Dell has a very high res. But I am afraid it will make the text look very small and will stretch the HD videos/content.
The NEC one is no doubt an entry level model but it's specs don't seem to be bad.In one of the reviews of NEC( which I listed), it was rated quite near to HP LP 2475w. As far as the contrast ratio is concerned DCR actually matters very little and that too in videos.
Consider this HP monitor as well.
----------<< HP 2509m >>--------------
LCD PANEL TYPE ? 25? diagonal Widescreen Thin-Film Transistor LCD active matrix
NATIVE RESOLUTION (RECOMMENDED)? 1920 x 1080
DYNAMIC CONTRAST RATIO ? 60,000:1
CONTRAST RATIO(TYPICAL)? 1000:1
BRIGHTNESS (TYPICAL)? 300 nits
PIXEL PITCH ? 0.288 mm
RESPONSE TIME (TYPICAL)? 3 ms (GTG)
SIGNAL INPUT
CONNECTORS
? VGA
? DVI-D
? HDMI
POWER SUPPLY ? Internal power supply
MAXIMUM POWER RATING ? 43.7 Watts
Adjustments : Tilt +25/-5 degrees , Swivel
VESA : 100mm x 100mm
Warranty: 1 year

- Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.

The text size and more is adjustable in Windows, Linux and even on the Apple computers. As to video stretch all the players I have used have a check box call "maintain aspect ratio" or similar wording.

Hope this helps.

As to the value display I think you are trying to sell me on it. Sorry but I looked and found it lacking in too many ways. It would not make my list.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info