Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

dell server power supply

by mauleep / December 19, 2007 4:31 AM PST

Hi,

I have a Dell 2650 PowerEdge server power supply that I would like to use out of the server. Does anyone know how I can do this? This is a little trickier than with an ATX power supply as 1) the connector is 6x4 pins, 2) I cannot identify PSON, which I have read maybe pin 11 or 16 3)Grounding 11 or 16 does not work anyway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell server power supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell server power supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) tried 13 to 14?
by James Denison / December 19, 2007 7:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Dell DPS-500 power supply
by mauleep / December 19, 2007 2:54 PM PST
In reply to: tried 13 to 14?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not really sure where pins 13 & 14 are, but I've tried the combinations that I could guess, and the supply did not power up.

My pins are arranged in four rows of six pins:

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .

When looking at the connector the voltages are:

5.14 5.14 5.14 0.00 0.00 0.00
4.04 4.04 0.01 0.01 5.27 0.00
4.62 4.53 0.00 2.19 4.76 0.01
0.00 0.50 0.00 0.00 0.40 0.00

Hope this helps. Which is pin 1 & which is pin 24?

Collapse -
more info
by mauleep / December 26, 2007 7:56 AM PST

Can you help me a bit more James?

I have listed above the voltages that I have on the connector. I also have access to a 2650 server. I'm still not sure of the pin numbering. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
Why are you doing this?
by James Denison / December 26, 2007 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: more info

And why aren't you using the hotswap sled or tray that works with it?

If you are getting power output readings from the power supply, then is it not on already? I read too quick before and gave you a wrong answer off the top of my head about PSON for ATX, it's actually jumpered between 14 and 15. http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

Here's an info page for the server referenced, there's a cabling pdf file available there.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2650/en/index.htm

For anyone reading this thread, here's the power systems he's dealing with. Clk on one and can get larger picture of the 4x6 pin out.
http://www.impactcomputers.com/dellparts-dell-servers-dell-poweredge-2650-parts-power-supply.html

Collapse -
could this be what you want?
by James Denison / December 26, 2007 9:44 PM PST
Collapse -
more info
by mauleep / December 27, 2007 6:16 AM PST

Can you help me a bit more James?

I have listed above the voltages that I have on the connector. I also have access to a 2650 server. I'm still not sure of the pin numbering. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
Dell 2650 power supply
by mauleep / December 27, 2007 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: more info

Please ignore the above post, it's a duplicate.

OK, Why am I doing this? well I need a couple of bench power supplies and I have these already so I thought I would use them if I could. They are quite powerfull and robust.

When the mains lead is plugged into the power supply there is power on the 24 pin connector (as detailed above), however, I'm assuming that this is low amperage and just for the power supply to communicate with the server (fault lights, fan speed etc..). The LED on the back of the power supply indicates that it is in Standby Mode. The power connector is not the same as an ATX power supply (or a Dell PC). The power supply has two large power connectors (pins) at either end, and 24 pins in the middle (4 rows of six pins). The pins are small, like jumper pins.

The cables in the links in the above posts will not connect to this power supply.

I'm assuming that, like normal ATX PC power supplies, I need to connect PSON to something (VFP, VDC) to get the supply to turn on.

I have read all the documentation on the Dell site that I can find, but nothing so far describes how to get the power supply working outside the chassis. I did find a schematic which shows a 6100 where PSON, VFP, VDC go to the On/OFF button (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/docs/53861.pdf),on the front of the server. But this is still not enough information for me to get the supplies to power up.

I feel like it should be so easy, just jumper two pins or something, but it's beat me!

Collapse -
Isn't that it on page 60?
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Dell 2650 power supply

aka 4-12
You've reversed this action done for removal?

Turn the locking switch on the power supply from the locked position
(1) to the standby power position (partial circle with a line through the top).

Did you try it with that locking switch turned back to the locked position?

Collapse -
Found It.
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 9:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Your Right
by mauleep / January 2, 2008 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Found It.

I don't like it. In fact I don't completely understand it. So looks like I'll have to buy a couple of ATX power supplies instead!!

Collapse -
Solved!!!
by write2dgray / July 26, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

So, I was looking to use a 9650 as a 12V Power Supply. In order to power the device on short the following pins, assuming a 4 row x 6 column set of pins:

row 2, column 5
row 3, column 4
row 4, column 4

By connecting these three pins together (bend and then use a touch of solder) the power supply will turn on supplying 12V to both rails (right side positive, left pair neg) when the AC source is plugged in. Hope this helps - it took me a while!

- David

Collapse -
Yes!! But now another problem :)
by krixa / October 23, 2008 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Solved!!!

Hi all. I have also managed to get it started. Have to check the pins when i get home if they are the same. Atleast here is a picture on mine with two jumpers shorting 2 pairs of pins:

http://www.bunkerjavel.se/bygge2k7/IMG_1529-edit.jpg

Now I'm facing another problem with this power supply. I'm using it to power a 12V car amplifier. When the AC source is plugged in and I turn my 3-way switch (on-off-on) on, the power supply dies. It lights the red alarm lamp and i can hear the fan slow down and stop. What I can do though, is to have my switch turned to on. Then afterwards put the AC source online, have the power supply to start up and then use my switch to turn my car amplifier off, then on as many times I want to. Anyone having similar issues? What makes the supply to die if it's running and then adding some load by turning a switch on?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?