Dell forum

General discussion

Dell's Small Business tech support

by Big Steve / March 18, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

In configuring a new desktop at Dell's Small Business Division they offer basic limited tech support or for more money you can choose pro tech support. Is it worth the extra bucks to choose pro tech support verses basic limited tech support? If you go with pro tech support will you be guaranteed USA based tech support every time you place a call or is there a chance that your call might still get routed to India?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell's Small Business tech support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell's Small Business tech support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / March 19, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
This does not mention anything about the location of the support technicians.
Collapse -
Dell Support
by hortnut / March 20, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

My choice for support is to choose the least expensive that gives the longest life for the components. I have backup machines to use, if needed.

My self-support is to back up, back up, back up and so on and so on - any and all data all the time.

Data and files are priceless.

Hardware is a commodity, easily replaceable.

That is my .02.

2 years ago when my step-daughter graduated from High School. Her grandfather bought her a Latitude with all of the Support Options that came to around $400. She never had a need to use it. Was it a good value? Maybe? It was a choice that was made and I have no criticism of it. Kind of like Life Insurance or Disability Insurance.

Collapse -
Re: Dell Support
by Big Steve / March 20, 2009 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Support

Well here's my opinion on that. If I paid the extra money for Dell's pro support which their Small Business Division's website says purchasers of new computers who purchase the pro support will receive USA based tech support but if I called tech support one day expecting to be connected to a call center somewhere here in the USA but instead my call would get routed to India or the Phillipines(sp?) instead I would be a little bit upset and if I knew that might be a possibility I think I would just choose the standard basic tech support and not spend the extra bucks for Dell's pro support. Thanks for your post.

Collapse -
Dell's Pro Tech Support
by preshie / March 21, 2009 2:22 AM PDT

I rarely buy extended warranties or support plans since most are just a huge waste of money. BUT - Dell's Pro Tech support is fabulous, USA based and worth every dime. You get immediate help from a person with a real name, speaking English, and if you need even more help than they can provide, they can escalate the problem to their SuperTechs. (regular support can too but it may be a lot more hassle to get there)

Collapse -
Dell Support
by demonpink / March 7, 2010 1:59 PM PST

Support has taken a rapid turn for the worse-
Have bought 5 Dells over the years and just returned #6
(XPS 435)because their support was non-existant.

Collapse -
Dell Support needs restructuring
by Mardigra1 / March 13, 2010 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Support

I just received my XPS 435T 9000. I had to send the monitor back (stand was defective) so I upgraded to the one that was shown with the tower on their website I thought I was getting. I had to call their regular phone number which entailed listening to the loudest woman's voice recording giving you tips on how to self-help your way out of your computer problem for 20 minutes (if you like the song, Lollipop as a greeting, call them) maybe because we're the suckers!
Finally, I got a person from India that I had to tell my story to and then repeat it ALL to a person in the Phillipines. They were polite and I guess doing the best they could. It took 2 hours!
The computer was built in China and Mexico which makes a total of 4 countries representing Dell but no one in America could tech help me.
I thought I bought every tech help: Complete Care, NBD Onsite + NW, Your Tech Team and XPS Tech Support. What tech team is that? Where? What's Complete Care? or NBD Onsite (Never Bother Dell Onsite?
I am on my 3rd Dell computer and still can't figure out how some body got terrific help from them here in this country!
Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Az-17

Collapse -
Dell Support needs restructuring
by ThaddMc / May 18, 2010 5:14 AM PDT

It wasn't broken... until they tried to "fix" it. I've been using Dell for our company for more than a decade, purchasing hundreds of units over the years. I have always promoted buying the Gold Tech Support. You started with tech who had a higher level of knowledge, and was usually from North America. I just tried to extend and XPS Support contract and learned XPS/Gold, now called Pro, is considered an upgrade! This doesn't make sense to me... we already paid for the highest level of support, and now want to extend that. Why should we pay more just because they change the name!?!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.