General discussion

DELL's Backup & Recovery Disables Windows 7 Backup Functions

Dell stopped shipping the popular Backup and Recovery Manager v1.3 with Windows 7 Computers in May 2014 .
Dell replaced it with Dell Backup and Recovery Basic v.1.6 and later 1.7. This version was written for Windows 8.x and it disables two important functions of Microsoft Windows 7 Backup and Recovery.
The "Create a System Repair Disk" no longer functions and more importantly the "System Restore from an Image" is also disabled.
Uninstalling the Dell software will restore the "Create a System Repair Disk" but the "System Restore" remains unusable.
The "Basic" version of Dell's software has very few functions and is a marketing ploy aimed at getting the end user to purchase their "Premium version" which restores the functions previously available in their "Backup and Recovery Manager" v.1.3
Anyone who purchased a Dell computer after the first of May and has Dell's "Basic" version will not be able to recover their computer with an Image if they have a major failure.
I wonder if Microsoft knows what Dell did to their Windows 7 Operating System?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DELL's Backup & Recovery Disables Windows 7 Backup Functions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DELL's Backup & Recovery Disables Windows 7 Backup Functions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm sure they do.

What you wrote about is what an OEM can do without any fear of Microsoft's reprisal. In fact because of the OEM agreement the OS does not have to include ANY feature or item since the support is between Dell and they customer. To cut support costs such things vanish.

Not much new here but I continue to bump into folks new to how OEM licenses work and some of them compare what they get in the Full Retail version (which is where we begin the conversation.)
Bob

- Collapse -
dell's backup mess

So, if it is disabled - which I see since I own one of dell's win 7 boxes, how can I get around it and protect myself from system failures without paying the $40 they want for premium. I've created a rescue disk using the basic version of dell's backup. And I just used windows backup to create a system image. Although, now it seems after all that, the image is useless. I can't be the only one lost as to what to do.

- Collapse -
Just backup using any number of old ways.

I like Clonezilla since I can backup a working image of the HDD to some external HDD (how is on the web) and then for files I like SyncBack, GoldSync and such because I can run that any time.
Bob

- Collapse -
Complete repair for Windows Backup and Recovery

This may sound complicated, but it really isn't.

1 Uninstall Dell Backup and Recovery Basic.

2 You will need a Windows 7 Installation disc. If your ver. of Windows is SP1, you will need an installation disc with SP1 or you will need to uninstall SP1 before performing the repair. If you have a Dell Win. 7 installation disc, you won't need the installation key.

3 Log into Windows, insert the disc, run "setup" and choose "Install Now".

4 Choose "Get Important Updates", Accept terms and choose "Upgrade". This will leave all of the programs and settings intact and won't re-format the drive. It will re-boot several times, Do Nothing until completion.
5 After completion, you will need to download and install the Windows updates (about 210).
6 If you want to install the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager (the full featured version that is compatible with Windows Backup) Follow the link below and download either the 32 or 64 bit version for Windows 7.
7 http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/delldownloadcenter/ddc?c=uk&1=en&s=bsd&DoNotRedirect=y&redirect=1

- Collapse -
Other image s/w

While you may not save any money in the process you will at least be better suited to do do your own restore/recovery. Ghost, Aquiloes, any so-called image s/w free even or you buy it, then create your own back-ups or images. You can try the HD offered basic back-up as well from WD or Seagate, check their support websites.

Under the EUFI protection scheme, disable it then try this method. It may or may not work. Under Win 7, I use another Win 7 install disc, no matter what version, install it. Yes, it will prompt for a key, but his only a temporary install. Install the Dell supplied back-up s/w to that new Win 7 install. Access it and run it. It will find the hidden recovery partition and start that process. Yes, it will overwrite the just installed Win 7, but now the proper Dell install will take place. You may want to erase or delete the contents of the old "C" drive, ONLY!!! if you find it corrupted or infected, etc..

Use the above method only when you find a corrupted or unavailable OS working "C" partition. many times the hidden partition is OK excluding a failed HD. Sometimes, cloning from old-to-new HD will have a failed "C" OS recovery but the hidden is OK(that s/w). Then use the above method I described to re-install the Dell recovery partition. The Dell OS key(OEM) will be supplied during this recovery so once done, it shouldn't ask for it. Of course you finish the recovery process with updates, other s/w install, etc. as required.

*NOTE* This should also work for Win 8 but not Win 8.1(maybe). I find Win 8.x such a PITA to deal with.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info