PC Hardware forum

Question

Dell Replacement System

by apples723 / February 19, 2014 5:06 AM PST

Does anyone know what would happen if when dell sends me my new replacment system(as my not even a year old inspiron 15r 5521 has had to be repaired 3 times) and lets say i dont send them the one that sorta works back to them i m think about taking out the hard drive. what would happen would they send me a letter with the price of the hard drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Replacement System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Replacement System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From past experience they don't consider it a return
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 5:25 AM PST

And you may get billed for the new machine. Why do this and risk that? It's not as if you didn't keep backups of what you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
In case you don't already have backups
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2014 5:46 AM PST

You can always remove the hard drive temporarily and either put it into another PC as a secondary drive or put it into an external enclosure you can buy for $30 or less. Then you can copy any data you need to save and then put it back in the original Dell computer.
`
When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free. That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.