Question

Dell printer model V515w

I'm running Windows 8.1 on an HP Pavilion Slimline (purchased 3/15).
A friend's neighbor's husband passed, leaving behind this all-in-one printer. My friend knew I needed a printer. I said it looked new enough that it would need an install CD - he didn't know about that.
Today, I had 8.1 delete the driver for HP (I'd already disconnected it).
I plugged in electrical and USB cords for Dell printer - no lights came on.
Dell's site indicates 8.1 should recognize their printer; however, the device manager did not find it.
I tried finding something on Dell, using the Service Tag #, but that was not recognized.
I even installed a Dell software to examine my CPU - nothing found.
I want to email Dell's support but, w/o Service Tag #, there is no support.
Does anyone know if there is an install CD available for this printer? Or, is there free software/driver available from Dell to install/run it?
I need the exact order of installation. I need the exact name(s) of the software/driver/etc. to install.
Is there anyone out there who can help me? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dell printer model V515w
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell printer model V515w
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) did you put a power cord on the printer?
- Collapse -
Of course!

"I plugged in electrical and USB cords for Dell printer - no lights came on."

- Collapse -
Answer
Let's check it one more time.
- Collapse -
ink cartridge tray

I've been reading instructions on how to install a printhead w/o the CD.
I don't know if you have seen the inside of this printer but, there are 2 openings - once you lift the document panel and the glass copy panel. On the left is a carrier for the color ink cartridge; on the right is where the black ink cartridge carrier is supposed to be. It seems the carrier for the black ink cartridge is missing.
That may be the problem - if parts (and ink cartridge) are missing, the unit will not power up. The ink cartridges must be installed BEFORE connecting the power cord and turning on the printer.
Since this printer is NOT old - not yet 5 years (and it was a much older gentleman who had it), I will assume it did not have much use. It is very clean, with no marks on it.
Let me see what I can find on Dell's site. Maybe I can get the part.
I have 3 printers and cannot use any of them!! (HP updated its software, which disabled one HP printer; there is no port on the CPU for the other HP printer; now Dell doesn't work.)
Stay in touch.

- Collapse -
Did you just?

Did you just reveal that parts were missing or that you needed to follow the product's setup instructions? That tells us there may be hope.

As to those other printers, I've found ways to print over the years by using another PC to host the printer. Kind of complicated but Linux printing support is legendary.

- Collapse -
Thanks, Bob...

The first instruction is: "Open the printer, and then remove the packaged printhead from the printer." There is no printhead. This is the part I need.
There are 2 ports for ink cartridges, which are inserted into the printheads. The port on the left seems to be only for a color cartridge, which does have the printhead. The port on the right (much larger area than the one on the left) is where one is supposed to insert the printhead (which appears to hold both color and black ink cartridges).
I was on 2 different chats with Dell (first, customer service) (second, tech support). CS said I needed to call tech support - but, I don't have a phone. CS shared the chat over to tech support. Tech support said I'd have to call, and pay for tech time, to get the part number. CS said I'd have to have the part number before going to Best Buy. It sounds like a really big racket to me - hints of HP are coming to mind.
I'm going to take the printer to Best Buy, to see if they can help. Hopefully, they will have the part. If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears!
As to using another PC - yes, I will do that, as soon as I can find money to buy another monitor. That is all I need, as I already have an extra printer & mouse. The old HP printer is already installed on the old PC and does not get updated, which keeps HP from shutting it down. The old PC also has a port for the old printer's cable.
The newer HP printer connects by USB cable. I figure, since all I need to do is print something I have stored on a USB drive, HP is kept out of the loop, being that I will be working off-line Happy))
But, this Dell printer is very nice. I really do not believe it was ever used (there is a notation inside the manual, from 11/11, regarding a full refund). So, to me, it's worth a bit of aggravation. Let me know if you can offer anything else.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
take with you to Staples

Let them find, insert the proper ink cartridges/printheads, prove it works there.

- Collapse -
Who said I needed another PC?

I have this old old USB microscope that is XP 32 bit only. I have a VirtualBox XP for the rare time I need to use it. One can run XP in a VirtualBox (or Linux) to print when need be when the drivers don't get updated from a newer Windows.

It's slightly advanced but proof that all we need is out there.

CNET Forums