General discussion

Dell Precision gone dead after a messed up screen

Hi,
I switched on my extra machine after weeks with monitor attached to it (generally operate it via netmeeting). While the system booted, their were multiple vibrating bars on the monitor, and I could barely make out what was going on. Finally it came to the logon screen, but I could not see the input fields for the user/password. So I switched off the PC via the hard button. Next time, I switched it on, nothing would show up on the monitor at all. It would access the floppy drive and the cd drive, and a light would flicker on the keyboard, and then the hard drive would not move forward. The hard drive LED light is continuously switched on. I cant even make out if my video card has gone bad (as the monitor still works ok with my other PC), or that motherboard or something else has broken. What can I do to identify or narrow down the problem?
I have seen once in the past that if the memory modules are loose, or something like that, (particularly for Dell Precision) the machine still does not even go as far as the bios.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dell Precision gone dead after a messed up screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Precision gone dead after a messed up screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info