HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell Power Supply

by minnmirman / August 24, 2005 2:07 PM PDT

Well, mine went out on my dimension 4600, now I dont know what to get. There's a lot of adapters and whatever else online, but I dont want to fry my motherboard or anything. I cant seem to get anywhere on Dell's website, so I dont know what to do...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Power Supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Power Supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 24, 2005 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Power Supply

You would have to order one from pc power and cooling the best psu manufactuer out there (one good thing about dell, they don't use crappy parts), however the psus are specially made for dell, so the wiring is differnet though they share the same pin-layout. SO sticking any psu will fry your computer. Google pc power and cooling and check for the psu that matches your model. The Psus are expensive. Dells always offer limited upgradeability and bad technical support.

Roger

Collapse -
WRONG.
by Tman1 / September 13, 2005 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Using any compatible PS will NOT fry your Dell.

My brother is currently using a PS from an HP computer in his 4600 as we speak. I know because I put it in there.

On another occasion, I saw an ANTEC PS in another Dell unit.

No idea how these myths come about...

Collapse -
They used to
by Technojunkie2 / September 13, 2005 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: WRONG.
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339053

That's how. I nearly swapped in a standard power supply into one of those Dells but hesitated when something just didn't look right about the ATX power cable. Dell used those idiotic nonstandard cables for several years. I know of no definitive list of which Dells have what.
Collapse -
DANG!
by minnmirman / August 24, 2005 2:54 PM PDT

Well, the dell man says I also need a new motherboard and memory cards, so it looks like I'm screwed...

Collapse -
dell support is kinda bad so i wouldnt really listen to them
by nerdyboy1234 / August 24, 2005 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: DANG!

memory cards? dat makes no sense...i think u mean memory modules for ram

Collapse -
replacing psu motherboard etc
by IrisRose / September 9, 2005 3:55 AM PDT

Something went bad on our dell earlier this year. Phone support could not diagnose it, so I ended up doing exactly that: getting new chip, motherboard and psu. Fortunately, the warranty had not run out. Point is, Dell could not figure out what was wrong and was willing to replace the whole shebang. If the machine had not been under warranty though, I'd have been out a lot of money.

Collapse -
fried parts
by ddbpack / October 28, 2005 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: DANG!

any warranty?

Collapse -
Dell Power Supply
by jcrobso / August 25, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

Dell has a non-standard wired ATX power connector. So you need a PSU that is made for a Dell or a ATX PSU and one of the adapters. Find them online with google. John

Collapse -
Go here!
by Cluchetti / August 27, 2005 8:02 AM PDT

If your looking for a psu, try this site.

www.tigerdirect.com

Good Luck

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not for a dell and newegg is cheaper
by damasta55r / August 27, 2005 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Go here!
Collapse -
Tiger Direct, good luck?
by toootall / September 9, 2005 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Go here!

I wouldn't go to these people if their crap was all free.
After two months of getting the red tape runaround and time consuming try this and try that I agreed to a different brand computer and recieved a different one than they promised, I kept it because it was the first one of three that actually worked. Unless you want to be treated like a moron and given the run around steer clear of Tiger Direct.

Collapse -
Dell PSU
by angeles75 / September 8, 2005 9:30 PM PDT

Bummer!!! That's why I build my own. Got a Dell about 5 years ago, tried to put in different motherboard, no good. Found a site that showed how to get around the power supply and connect the motherboard, too complicated, so built one instead. Still have the Dell running Linux. Angel

Collapse -
Dell's evil nonstandard power supplies info
by Technojunkie2 / September 8, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

This guy documented everything you'll ever want to know about Dell's evil proprietary pinout power supplies:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339053

"An even bigger crime than simply using non-standard power connectors is that only the pinout is non-standard, the connectors look like and are keyed the same as is dictated by true ATX."

"I discovered this the hard way as well; by frying parts. At first I thought the upgraded power supply I installed in one of my Dell systems was bad, especially considering the dramatic way it smoked when I turned the system on, I actually saw **fire through the vents**! Good thing I decided to check the color codes on the connectors and verify the pinout on another Dell system by using a voltmeter before I installed and fried a second supply."

I recommend replacing the power supply AND motherboard with industry-standard components. Everything else should carry over. Heck, get a nice AMD Athlon 64 CPU to replace your power-guzzling P4 while you're at it. I like ASUS for motherboards and Seasonic for power supplies. Be sure to tell Dell what you did.

Collapse -
power supply
by ddbpack / September 9, 2005 1:16 PM PDT

amd cpus are WELL known to be power hogs! not intel!

Collapse -
Join the 21st century
by Technojunkie2 / September 10, 2005 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: power supply
Collapse -
Really simple, Don't buy DELL!
by oklahomadanny / September 11, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

Unfortunately most buyers are unaware of Dell's use of 'proprietary' parts. I didn't know the PSU appears 'designed' to destroy your computer! i.e. Same connectors, different wires. Jeeze, my sister and her daughter recently bought Dell's. Same with memory modules, though not as bad, or dangerous. Deceptive advertising in my opinion. 'Let the buyer beware' certainly applies to Dell.

Collapse -
Dell power supply failure
by anyport / September 9, 2005 12:34 AM PDT

I find this thread interesting considering that I have four Dell Optiplex computers bought at the same time that all had power supply failures within a couple of months. At first they would fail to start reliably, and eventually not at all.

At first the Dell tech said I motherboard, but after replacing the MB and memory with no sucess, he traded out a PS and voila ... it worked! With another computer beginning to act up the rep ordered two PS's and those were fixed. When the other two started acting up, I called Dell but was told they couldn't replace parts with intermitent problems. No problem ... I called back and said "they're dead" and the PS's were shipped. BTW, pretty easy to replace .... about a 5 minute job once you know the one screw to remove and how to get the processor air funnel out of the way.

Collapse -
24 Optiplex GX260's and 7 dead power supplies
by bfrazier / September 11, 2005 2:50 PM PDT

Yep, I'm 7 for 24 on two year old machines, but I suspect the power that courses though my classroom's wiring is at fault - not the power supplies themselves. Well maybe? Given that many buildings are underwired for today's technology I wonder if this may be the case for some of you as well.

We also replaced 11 power supplies on our last batch of Gateway's.... 11 I beleive of 20 or so over the course of 3 years.

Electrician has been called - Dell replaced all seven power supplies - though it took several calls and yes, some poorer service.

Collapse -
Dell PSU
by digidwain / September 9, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

Okay,

Simple solution -

go to http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/

Put your information in and VOILA! You have a new power supply that is better than the original. Probably cost you $150 (plus shipping) for the older models. But you factor in a mobo and a PSU to replace them, you are gonna fork over more dough anyway.

Collapse -
For the mechanically challenged...
by kayo38 / September 9, 2005 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell PSU

When I bought my Dell desktop 2 1/2 years ago, my husband insisted I get the extended warranty, which I did. I had the same symptoms of an imminent power supply failure - harder to start, erratic start, and no start. When the problem of starting began, I called Dell and they sent out a technician in less than 24 hours and of course, it worked perfectly, BUT the technician said he thought it was a power supply failure evolving and he was right. When I called Dell and told them of the previous visit, there was no taking my word for it, and my husband and I went through the lengthy talk-through on removing the case, etc. and finally, the person on the other end said, "yes, it's a power supply failure" and within 24 hours, it was fixed, in house.

Not being savvy with the inner workings, did it cost me more to have the power supply replaced this way, or for an ignoramus, was this the best bet?

In any event, I have to say that in my experience, Dell did a good job in handling the situation, or maybe I just got lucky with the technician in this area. I have a Gateway notebook (bought based on my previous positive experience with them) and I usually go through 3 or 4 phone calls until I get someone who actually sounds like they know what they're talking about and then take their advice - however, in order to have something less than minor taken care of, it's the same answer: send it to us and we'll solve the problem after we've reformatted the hard drive. Needless to say, I'm not going to be a Gateway customer again!

Collapse -
Power Supply
by RNFaden / September 9, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

Believe it or not, just last week my power supply took a nose dive. I have a Systemax Pent 4, 2.4gig. Well I went to all sorts of sites & couldn't find a replacement. It seems like it is either out of manufacturing or the manufactures make them so you can't get replacements. Well, anyway, I couldn't locate a 300watt one that would fit my system, so I went to a computer repair store close to me. I purchased a 350watt, instead of a 300watt. Installed it & it works great, so far. It cost me a bundle, but hey, its the only joy I get here. 1st time I've ever replaced a power supply & I'm proud of myself.

When you find a store, take your old supply with you & make sure the new one is same size, hole alignment matches, etc. Also make sure all the cables match your cables on the old supply. I even got a supply that has more power cables then my old one. It leaves me room for expansion.

Collapse -
Try This Link!
by pmchefalo / September 9, 2005 2:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Dell = never again
by donniebnyc / September 9, 2005 2:21 AM PDT

I also had no idea my dim 8200 had a non-standard psu, so when I tried to replace my mobo I hit a brickwall. Luckily the plugs didn't fit so I didn't fry a new mobo.

I was still mad, though. Not only had I wasted the time I put aside for the change over, but now I had to order a new psu and wait for it to arrive.

Dell shoud be putting a big red sign on their cases and website: WARNING: Non-standard parts used here.

I will never buy from dell again.

Collapse -
I Have a Demension 8200!
by Stevy1g / September 9, 2005 5:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell = never again

I replaced the power supply in my Demension 8200 over a year ago, standard PSU, 425W and there are no problems, except for the minor case modification I had to make to get the screw holes to line up. The PSU is a Diablotec, but works great.

Collapse -
dell 8200 psu replacement
by saltcod / October 28, 2005 12:11 PM PDT

I have a dell 8200, manufacture date jan, 2002,
How can I tell FOR SURE it will take a standard atx
psu upgrade?

Also I just upgraded video card to a Gforce 6600gt with extra power connecter.Current psu is stock 250 watt. Card manufacturer recommends 300 to 350 watts. Do I really need to upgrade?

thanks
saltcod

Collapse -
search ebay
by yourunionsteward / September 9, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

Search ebay for a replacement PSU. It may be used, but you'll get it a lot cheaper than retail. Dell support is terrible. I don't bother calling them anymore with problems. I just search their community forums and google for info.

Collapse -
Dell Dimension and Inspiron Support Off-shored
by pmchefalo / September 9, 2005 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: search ebay

Dell OptiPlex and Latitude support is US-based, and is several steps above the off-shored support. I keep waiting for the off-shore support to improve, but it's pretty time consuming to work with. Your best bet on newer units is to run the hardware diagnostics on the utility partition of the hard drive (if the machine starts!) before calling, and give the techs the results at the begnning of the call.

Collapse -
No Magic Required!
by hllywdsymr / September 9, 2005 5:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nice to know
by Technojunkie2 / September 9, 2005 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: No Magic Required!

It's nice to know that Dell has switched back to standard power supplies for at least some of their models. Does Dell document which machines have normal power supplies and which ones have their old proprietary ones? If so, where?

Collapse -
powersupply
by shogun64 / September 10, 2005 11:47 PM PDT

this may sound funny, have you heard of aarons rental? i got a 4600 from them and down the road my ps went out and the fixed it. call them and the might be able hook you up. they sell a lot of dells

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.