PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dell PC and USB 2.0

by Pasco / May 2, 2004 12:49 PM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 4300S which is about 1 1/2 years old. I want to change my old USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 There are no spare PCI slots. Dell tells me that the 4300S does not support USB 2.0 PERIOD. There was nothing I could do to change the USB. I find this hard to beleive. I'd really appreciate any comments. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell PC and USB 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell PC and USB 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Dell PC and USB 2.0
by Art / May 2, 2004 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell PC and USB 2.0

I am not buying it; but it's their product, I guess they should know. However, since you don't have any spare slot for a usb2 card, it's moot point anyway.

Collapse -
Re:Dell PC and USB 2.0.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 9:29 PM PDT

1. I bet you have a PCI Modem. That's your spare slot.
Remove that, put in the USB 2.0 PCI card and get either a serial modem or USB modem.

2. Review http://www.usbman.com to figure out how to get USB 2.0 on your OS. *You didn't tell, so I can't say if this is easy or hard or impossible.

Bob

Collapse -
Addendum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 9:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Addendum.
by Pasco / May 3, 2004 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum.

Thanks, Bob
That last option of using the modem slot is possible but I was hoping to keep the modem for dial-up use if I ever lost my broadband cable. But it would solve a lot of peripheral problems. Again, my many thanks.

Incidentally, I suspect Dell has outsourced it's customer service. I could barely understand the tech's reply and it may have gone the same in the other direction.

Collapse -
Modem...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2004 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Addendum.

I paid less than 9 bucks for some USB Modem. It's not the greatest, but does work. A serial port modem is under 20 and is nicer.

Cheap solutions... Or cheaper than a new machine.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.