Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell or Sony notebooks

Hey, I'm recently plannin on going to college and looking for a laptop. I have been leaning towards the Sony S 480, but my father is leaning towards the new Dell latitude D610. Could someone please give me some pros and cons of the two, and maybe tell me about the problems with the respective companies. Thanks a bunch.
BosCol

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell or Sony notebooks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell or Sony notebooks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both junk

In reply to: Dell or Sony notebooks

Both Sony and Dell tend to be junk IMHO. IBM or HP make ok machines depending on the model, and they probably won't cost you more if you're careful.

Collapse -
define junk?

In reply to: Both junk

comming from someone who thinks IBM is
not 'junk' shows what you know. I have
a friend who works for IBM and assembles
and repairs thinkpads and he thinks they
are 'junk'

suppose it all depends on who you talk to...

Collapse -
Your friend sounds like a disgruntled employee

In reply to: define junk?

It's generally accepted that the Thinkpad is the best laptop built. I know my T42p is best laptop I've ever used.

Collapse -
DELL Not junk

I have a C640, excellent machines.

Dell is what we use in the military-- impressive how you can return from Afghanistan and Middle East after a year an it still works with dust coming out of all corners...

Collapse -
Military and Dell.

In reply to: DELL Not junk

I wonder how many noticed the war room in Qatar full of Dell laptops?

Bob

Collapse -
I thought the military used Toughbooks?

In reply to: Military and Dell.

As the title sez "I thought the military used Toughbooks?" I've got an older CF-27 running 2000 and it could be considered a lethal weapon in a close fight..
My sis'n law has a 700 and she hates the keyboard. Bought a new Toshiba that she used as a desktop..Darn power connector inside unit went south after a month..
I'm ordering a refurb Dell 1000 to try..Since ordering, have heard more bad than good though..Like really slow performance. Wimpy case..Runs way too hot..
If it's crappo, even at the $479 price with 2 year warranty, it's back in the box!..I'll save my dimes for a faster used Panasonic on Ebay, etc.

Collapse -
JUNK is...

Junk is a 12 year old lawnmower.

Collapse -
Dell Notebooks

Depending on what you need from a system, the D610 may not be your best bet. The 610 is a brand new product and has been having LOTS of OOB issues with Bad images and just straight up weird issues.
I'd hit the D600 from Dell or the D410 fi ya don't mind a smaller screen. If yer into the bigger, badder notebooks, the D810 is an AWESOME machine. Furthermore, ya need to buy it through a business or school so you can get American support.

Ya really don't want to talk India.

Collapse -
expirience with the 810

In reply to: Dell Notebooks

hey
what is your expirience with the 810?
Does it have a card reader?
Is it fast?
Gameable?
Thanks

Collapse -
Style or Practicality?

Dell has a more honest 'professional' reputation. They're good, solid and stylish. Although all companies have problems with support services if/when things go wrong, Dell's reputation in this area is still one of the better ones.

Sony are way more stylish and sexy, with plenty of 'street credibility'. They're very good machines, but v.expensive, so you generally don't get value for money.

If it's my own money that I've slaved over to earn, then Dell is the better choice, but not the D610 as I personally think it's not thin enough, but that's my personal choice. As my office is paying for my new laptop, I'm getting a Sony FS!

Collapse -
After 5 Dell computers...

In reply to: Style or Practicality?

I have had 4 Dell desktops and now have a Dell XPS Gen 2 laptop..made for game playing. I have loved every Dell I ever had. BUT:
The case on my VERY expensive laptop is cheaply made. I have had to replace the keyboard after one year because a letter pad flew off. I can have lights shooting out to impress the kiddies, but my wrist has worn the finish off where it has rested. CHEAP!!

The laptop plays very high graphics games like a champ, it's media capabilities are amazing and it runs cool even after 7 hrs of a screaming game..another BUT:

Dell does NOT any longer have good marks for service or support. They have outsourced and you seldom get the right answer from India et al. If you call, you cannot understand all of what they say, though they are very polite. They have scripts and don't deviate if they are asked something not in the script.
Their support via website is a joke. I have gone round in circles for hours trying to get a question answered. Their 'survey' of the site is circular..always ending in an error (on your part) so that they cannot accept it.
My brother bought a Dell using DFS credit..meaning to pay it off immediately, but could not activate their 'check-free' option. He called and got a foreign person who assured him it worked very well indeed..was EASY to use. NOT....so finally the man let him pay with a credit card over the phone.

I love Dell's computers but if you want service and support...don't expect help from Dell's people.
I will ALWAYS buy Dells, but hope they get this problem taken care of.
BTW Consumer Guide rated their support/service VERY low recently.

Collapse -
Dell Notebooks

It's more or less the luck of the draw. I currently have four Dell laptops, two 1500 something for my two college girls, my old Inspiron (The Brick) that I literally traveled all over the world with and my new D600. Have not had even one minutes problem with them. Working in the oil industry about 90% of the operators I work with use Dell as well, no problems that I know of. Plan ahead because whatever you get will last several years. If it matters to you, at least Dell is an American company. Good luck and study hard. M

Collapse -
True, Dell is an American company but

In reply to: Dell Notebooks

their laptops are made in Taiwan or elsewhere in the Far East along with everyone elses.
Personally, I would recommend HP. If you shop carefully, you can beat Dell's prices feature for feature and their product support is first rate.

Collapse -
Dell technical assistance is very poor

As between Dell and SOny, just be aware that Dell technical assistance is now very poor. Once you are beyond 30 days they charge you for any assistance related to software. I do not know Sony's policy on this, but know that you should not expect free software help from Dell, even if they were the ones that installed it.

Collapse -
agree: Dell tech support is very poor

In reply to: Dell technical assistance is very poor

I've had several Dell products but my latest Dell notebook is definitely a dud. I missed the 30 day return period and so I'm pretty much stuck with a machine which was DOA. Had the computer for 5 months now and it still is populated with a mess of problems. Not much help from Dell; tech support ranges from none to good: spotty

My advice: whatever machine you get immediately test everything thoroughly: all hardware (even if you don't plan on using right away) and load all the software you plan to use. If ANYTHING doesn't work, return it and start again.

Good luck

Collapse -
Not only tech support, also at the sale itself

In reply to: agree: Dell tech support is very poor

I ordered by phone a Dell notebook, Inspiron 600m, but at the web page they were advertising one printer by free, well to make it short, I did not received the printer, the salesmen said that I was making a mistake, they did not offered the printer for "free" at that date, so I was left in the limbo about their "offers" but to make it worst, at the moment that I turn on the computer I conected to my wireless and started downloading upgrades, at that moment just when started installing the upgrade the computer freezed and windows was lost. I had to use the windows recuperation to start over.
So I would vote for the Sony notebook, at least is more stylish Happy

Collapse -
Dell's service

In reply to: Dell technical assistance is very poor

When i buy a notebook, i always want accidental warranty because you never know when someone will drop or spill on the notebook. Comparing the exact laptops Dell is a better deal with warranty. I had a 17 inch model that i had spilled cola, water, and had HDD failure. Dell replaced all of it without a problem and it didn't cost me a dime. if you buy a notebook i recommend getting Dells warranty for sure. I'm not sure how well Sony's is though.

Collapse -
Sony are stylish and reliable

I own a Sony s260P model. It is very protable and stylish. It has enough power to do most task. And if you didn't know Sony's screens are the best. Only think about Sonys is that their tech support sucks.

Collapse -
You're making a statement here

Notebook computers make a social statement. That's true everywhere, not just on campus. Two things you might want to consider before making a decision: What do you need in the way of features? (I say need rather than want because identifying needs will help you to narrow down your choices.) What do students at BosCol (just a guess) have and why? This is great opportunity for you to visit the school and ask around -- which is something you might want to do anyway. Here are a couple of gratuitous suggestions: Consider how you're going to keep your computer secure and build security into the cost. Consider also how and where you are going to transport your computer; don't scrimp on an attractive, functional, and extremely protective backpack or case. Finally, give yourself enough lead time so that you are familiar with your computer by the time you hit campus in the fall. You'll have better things to do during the first few weeks of school than get accustomed to a new computer and you'll be better able to deal with problems that may occur.

Collapse -
laptop

In reply to: You're making a statement here

Sending your comments on to my grandson. Thanks Marge

Collapse -
No vendor gives software assistance worthy of note.

As such, the playing field is level on that respect. Sony has an attitude that you will use the OS as supplied until you retire the machine. Sony's repair facilities failed us miserably years ago so I can't give them any good words.

Dell on the other hand does repair and support their hardware.

Bob

Collapse -
Dell hardware vs. software support

In reply to: No vendor gives software assistance worthy of note.

Agree; the hardware side is better, however because they are separate groups usually the hardware side blames the software side and visa-versa. Software side's usual response is "its an os problem, contact microsoft", good luck with that.

Collapse -
Why the 610?

My question is ''why the Dell 610?'' There are other notebooks from Dell that are better for home use. The 610 is designed as a corporate notebook. If you truely want an sweet notebook for home use, I would recommend the Dell 6000, or the 700m. You will be pleasantly pleased with the wide-screen features of these notebooks. I find that most notebooks are too tall (this becomes a problem in today's airplanes where the notebook hits the seat-back of the passenger in front of you.
Ed

Collapse -
Dell Notebooks

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 that I bought a little over a year ago and have had no major problems with it. That said the only gripe I have is with there tech support, its hit or miss at best. Sometimes I get someone who has a clue and sometimes I don't and they all don't speak english well or have heavy acsents. However You can usually find solutions to problems on the internet in several support forums, provided you can still get on the net.

Collapse -
Replying to Dell or Sony

I have owned about 5 dell notebooks and would never buy any other. I was impressed by the "look" of the SONY but when I went into a local "official" Sony repair depot and told that they were JUNK... i decided my original choice was best.
DELL offers (for a price) next day ONSITE service. THEY COME TO YOU! You dont need to mail your computer somewhere...take it anywhere...they come to you. I live on an island and they take the ferry and bring the required parts TO ME! I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 7500 that, over the years and over a 100,000 miles on it, has been rebuilt. New mother board, keyboard and some of the case that has been broken. ALL next day. All without question. NO other company stands behind their product like DELL.

Collapse -
Echo last...

In reply to: Replying to Dell or Sony

I would say that the last advice was very good, the experience matches mine as to prompt replacement service.

The problem, of course, is that you have to pay for such warranty which "...isn't cheap".

Forums like this do help solve problems, essentially software related. If your hard drive packs up in the middle of exam work then you could regret not having that warranty...at any price.

Good that you are giving yourself time to work things out, very wise.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Service contract - Yes!

In reply to: Replying to Dell or Sony

I completely agree. I live full time in a motorhome, while traveling around the country. I prefer impromptu campsites that are remote. Dell has never failed to get a tech to me with the right parts for the repair. Some of these have been serious repairs, such as the time a bear tossed my outside table/desk and laptop off into the bushes, leaving claw marks on the lcd screen and smashing the keyboard and motherboard. I gave the tech directions to find me, 23 miles down a fire road in a National Forest, and sure enough he showed up the next morning. By noon, everything was working well again.

The service contract I have covers anything - whether their fault or mine. If I spill coffee in the keyboard or drop the computer, it is covered. I highly recommend the service contract for any laptop.

--doc

Collapse -
or HP or Averetec

Just had to tell you that you should also check out the HP zd 7000 series (it might be 8000 series now). I love my machine. Great keyboard and screen. But it really isn't a portable. I couldn't tell you about the HP customer service because I haven't had any problems (well, the fans went, but I took it down to the local PC shop and they got a replacement for it the next day).

I bought my daughter an Averetec (SP) over a year ago. It was reasonably cheap, but is fast, light as a feather, and has a great screen. It has a small form factor and the keys are tiny...but she loves it.

Collapse -
Agree on the HP zd7000.

In reply to: or HP or Averetec

I have a 7140 and it's been great. Had one problem with it but HP picked it up by FedEx, fixed it and returned it to me the same week.
The current series is the 8000 range with even more features available (dual TV tuners!) at very reasonable prices. You're right, though, in that it is not very portable. At nearly 10 lbs and more than 17" wide, it definetely makes a better desktop replacement than a portable.

Collapse -
HP/Compaq

In reply to: Agree on the HP zd7000.

I would go with the AThlon 64s preferrably the Compaq R4000 if you're customizing. In store, i would go for compusa's deal with the HP ZV6000 for 1199.99, which ends tomorrow depending on your time zone.
ROger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!