PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dell OPTIPLEX 780

HI all I came across a dell optiplex 780 mini tower last week for $50 with the q45 express chipset and the LGA 775 I'm am wanting to mod/upgrade it in anyway to make it perform better and look better.

also I need ideas for case mods for the same computer and any other mods that I can do to it.

I all ready own a really nice gaming pc but would be nice if I could do a little gaming but not necessary

Any mods to this system or ideas will be appreciated

Any input is helpful

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell OPTIPLEX 780
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell OPTIPLEX 780
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Linux

In reply to: Dell OPTIPLEX 780

GEt most bank for your time and effort. Also won't need to go searching for driver files, it's probably already in the Linux kernel. Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin are favorites.

Collapse -
Previous Post

In reply to: Linux

??? I dont know what that means.

Collapse -
that's an old computer

In reply to: Previous Post

Probably from XP days. Maybe can run W7 on it. Preferable is one of the newer Linux operating systems like Ubuntu, Mint, or Zorin. Visit Youtube and search reviews on all those. You may be surprised.

Collapse -
Dell

In reply to: Dell OPTIPLEX 780

Did that machine come with an OS?
Does the machine power up?
Does it boot?

Visit the dell site and enter the service tag number.
See what it has to say about what parts and OS came stock with the machine.

Take the side panel off and take an inventory of what's in that machine so that you can plan upgrades.
While your in there give the innards a good cleaning.

See if you can buy the recovery media.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.