HolidayBuyer's Guide

Dell forum

Question

dell OPTIPLEX 755, front i/o pannel unconected can i jump ps

by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

hi
i have a dell OPTIPLEX 755 motherboard i wont to run without the front i/o panel, shouldn't i still be able to jump the green wire to ground to bring on the power supply and start the computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell OPTIPLEX 755, front i/o pannel unconected can i jump ps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell OPTIPLEX 755, front i/o pannel unconected can i jump ps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Why not put a push button to the PWR ON pins?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 6:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
i don't wonta
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 6:27 AM PDT

i don't wonta i wonta do it my way lol
no i'm thinking of using or up grading a farm to 755's but the one i have won't boot without the cable and button, was wondering if this was the norm or i'm missing something, usually i just jump green and a ground or - and they start this one won't or does anyone know where i can find the pin assignments for the k25 header for motherboard gm819 ?

Collapse -
The green wire trick is reserved for PSU testing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: i don't wonta

I cringe at the idea that the power could be stuck ON with the green wire.

Wonta fried chips with dat?
Bob

Collapse -
The green wire trick is reserved for PSU testing
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 7:33 AM PDT

yes it is and i should of elaborated a little further , i use momentary switches so each motherboard so i can start them one at a time, normal is through wol bash script that starts each at 20 second intervals.

Collapse -
Then the choices are pretty clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 7:51 AM PDT

Use the green wire and if it fries then it's done. I would not use the green wire.
Bob

Collapse -
looks like it can't be run with out the i/o pannel connected
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 9:22 AM PDT

bob lol
i have 10 motherboards, 2 farms running this way for the last 5 years, that is mute at this time a dell 755 motherboard it would seem needs it's front i/o board. there is a air temp sensor on it that in less hooked up stops the boot process with a air temp sensor error

Collapse -
bob
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

do you have the pin assessment for the k25 connector on a 755 dell motherboard?

Collapse -
This is where I get out the Ohm meter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: bob

Then trace which lines short out when I tap the power button. It sounds like you can do this.

As to the green wire that's good to hear it works. I wouldn't.
Bob

Collapse -
This is where I get out the Ohm meter
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 11:09 AM PDT

yea i have an i/o board and cable ordered when it gets it i will go through it and check for the power , switch and hopefully the thermal censor, i was just hoping someone knew where dell had it documented already, when i get the i/o i will post back and document what i find.

Collapse -
10 motherboards and not one Dell machine?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 1:10 PM PDT

Truly amazing.

But it sounds like a server farm. Isn't this going to cost you in electricity more than what it cost for these systems?

I did something years ago and found it was cheaper to give away a boatload of Pentium 4's to move to 4 times less units but with quad core Core2 (quads.) Today I bet my old server rack could be replaced with a pair of i7 quad cores and pay off in 6 to 12 months in the reduced electric bills.
Bob

Collapse -
yea
by klein5366 / October 3, 2011 11:12 PM PDT

they are more for cluster computing rendering, compiling, dedicated chores, some custom software that i'm not sure could make that big of jump into the future lol
motherboards pulled and put in custom rolling racks , custom filtered cooling system, mobile , state of the art 6 years ago lol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.