Question

dell optiplex 260 boot problem

I have a Dell optiplex 260 that I changed the hard drive in now in going from post to boot it says "primary hard disk not found press F-1 to continue F-2 to setup". The setup shows the hard drive correct I had no trouble loading Win XP Pro going to the Dell support site down loading the drivers and updates. After I press F-1 windows boots fine and the computer works perfect. "My computer" also shows the hard disk drive as "C".
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RLB

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: dell optiplex 260 boot problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: dell optiplex 260 boot problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
This happened to me.

I've seen this and it happened to me when I had the drive on the second IDE channel or as a slave when it should have been the master. Correcting my mistake cleared it up.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I checked the cables and everything was connected ok. I did check the drive and I had the jumper set for cable select so I changed it to master then when I booted it said no drive at all. I could not find a setting in the setup to load defaults and I could not find a jumper to clear CMOS so I reset the jumper on the HD to cable select and removed the battery for a couple of hours then started the computer and reset the time and now everything works fine. My concern was that I have a total of 4 Optiplex 260 all with the same problem. I am retired and help HOSPICE refurbish, repair and reload donated computers for reuse. Now I have 4 more ready.

Thanks Muc,
RLB

- Collapse -
Help recourse

Glad you got things up and running.

CNET Forums