Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell MOBO Will Not Install XP Home

by lsuedulive / December 29, 2009 9:50 AM PST

Dell Dimension 3000.

Dell MOBO Will Not Install XP Home. Is it the MOBO or is it the RAM Memory?

These same files will not install. Using 2 different known 'Good Discs'. Using 2 different known 'Hard Drives'

The Dell Diag CD was created and run. No problems found.

Thank you from New Orleans

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell MOBO Will Not Install XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell MOBO Will Not Install XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are these 5 files for
by lsuedulive / December 29, 2009 9:51 AM PST

What are these 5 files for ? Which piece of hardware on a Dell Dimension 3000 would stop / affect / these 5 files?

XP Home Srv Pak 2 could not copy these files. This error message comes up, 'To retry press enter'

esent.dll, created Aug 4, 2004, Size 443Kb

cscdll.dll

browseui.dll

shdocvw.dll

d3d8.dll

Thank you from New Orleans

Collapse -
Copy failures?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 10:49 AM PST

Point to aging CD/DVD drives.

Collapse -
Tried 2nd Optical Drive
by lsuedulive / December 29, 2009 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Copy failures?

I removed 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM.

Then the Optical disc would not read the CD.

I tried a 2nd Optical DVD but the MOBO would not see the Optical disc in the BIOS.

Then it died and will not come on.

I have several PC's to test the parts plus a very good DELL that I will use a new HD and the XP Install disc on a test install.

I will let you know how it worked out.

Thanks for the quick response. Enjoy The Rest Of Your Cajun Gumbo

Collapse -
"t the MOBO would not see the Optical disc in the BIOS."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 11:47 AM PST

Ouch. Sounds like the old collection of parts is coming home to roost type problem. Look around for testing parts on your other donor machines and check the machine for BAD CAPS as well as re-check your jumpers and IDE cable scheme.
Bob

PS. In Boston, finding a Cajun Gumbo worthy of that name is rough. Must head south soon.

Collapse -
Stuff happens
by Willy / December 29, 2009 11:19 PM PST

You maybe dealing with several problems or actually dealing with the original problem of why the system was given or let go. All this boils down to resolving all issues. If you're using the Dell OEM install discs, be sure you have what the Dell system was build as from day1 to lessen any hic-ups. Further, due to age you can have a worn out mtrbd. and/or dated one that may not accept whatever mish-mash of devices you have to make a system go 100%. The files you're referring to can be a bad read of the install discs, the drive itself or again some device that wasn't part of the install when sold. Get the mnaual and review it as well.

I use HD wipes to totally remove any past installs and restart from scratch, the OS reload. I visit Dell and enter the model s/n and see how it was build or typical for that model#. Then, if possible similar build to try the install. If the Dell discs are not OEM or for that model Dell, be sure to inspect that side of things. Next, assure the mtrbd. itself has no damage as Robert mentioned, "bad caps" as a possible issue. Next, verify the PSU is capable for it to die and not come-ON suggest a weak PSU or mtrbd. Check all that out and get back. Alas, older stuff just bites the dust, prepare to move on.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hard Driver Controller
by lsuedulive / January 7, 2010 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Stuff happens

Thanks to all.

After testing several components it was a flaky MOBO.

May have got too hot.

Enjoy the rest of your Cajun Jambalaya

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!