HolidayBuyer's Guide

Dell forum

General discussion

Dell Media Direct crashed laptop

by rubynellie / November 28, 2009 1:25 PM PST

We mistakenly pushed the Dell Media Direct button which was right next to the power button on a one year old XPS M1530 laptop, with Win Vista. It's been two days of blue screen, errors, cannot get into safe mode and now get either a black screen saying to reboot or the DMD startup page (which goes nowhere either).

I've googled this and found it to be a well-known problem but advice has not been helpful. Cannot get Dell online tech support, or on the phone. I have done f8, f5, f12, f everything--very frustrated. I even tried to use reinstallation disk for Vista but for another computer since all disks to the laptop are elsewhere at present. Have reset BIOS to boot CD/DVD first and back again. Tried making a recovery/rescue disk from online--no good, either. Yes, even tried pushing DMD button again to no avail.

College son is frantic. Help, please. I can't believe pushing one button could cause complete failure of computer to work, or that there is not a simple "undo" somewhere.

Winnie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Media Direct crashed laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Media Direct crashed laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stay calm. We have ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 11:02 PM PST

And seeing what I see, see a machine with a damaged OS and the machine has lost the ability to restore the OS.

Now be calm for a moment. Computer support is hard and worse when a CD/hard disk has gone sound so we are left to ponder what clues there are and decide what we can do about it. Getting irate over Direct Media will not help either since while others may think that is the cause my thoughts differ but then again I write software for this stuff.

Ok, back to the blue screens and DMD. If you did your research you find the DMD runs or the Windows OS runs. If you see Vista boot then DMD is not running. These two don't interact or run at the same time.

Let's not waste time on DMD.

--->> The most common issue I see is a non-booting restore DVD. Let's try the easy stuff first.

a. You set the CD/DVD to boot first.
b. You looked at the restore media and it is free of fingerprints and smudges, scratches and felt tip pen marks on the side that the computer reads.
c. Does it boot that DVD?

Sorry if I stop here but I couldn't tell.

And stay calm. We have ways to save the files. Read the CNET STORAGE FORUM STICKY at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?threadID=354911&tag=forums06;forum-threads and the LACIE MIRACLE post (and the others.) Now we have ways to get the files out.
Bob

Collapse -
Hard drive is dead
by rubynellie / November 29, 2009 9:13 AM PST

The DVD was from a different computer with Vista since the laptop disks were in another town far away. It was never used before--not sure you can do that but it didn't work, so maybe not.

Anyway, after trying to avoid hours on the phone with people I can't understand, I finally broke down and called Dell since the laptop is still under warranty. The guy there agreed that DMD wasn't the problem (although funny how there was no problem until the button was pushed and the resulting blue screen, etc. were things I read others experienced, too). He said the hard drive was fried, and they are going to replace it.

Thanks for the recovery advice. I've never done that before. Can I connect the laptop to another PC or do I risk doing damage to that, too?

Collapse -
We have the Cnet Storage "Lost and Found" post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: Hard drive is dead
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.