Question

Dell M6400

Hi

I got a Dell M6400 Workstation Laptop and are looking to upgrade my Video Card (GPU) and my Processor (CPU)

My current video card is a Geforce Quadro FX2700M 512MB Memory

and my current processor is a Intel Mobile Core Duo P8600 2,4 GHz.

Can anyone give me some tips to what hardware i should/could upgrade to?

I want to be able to play newer games, so i am perhaps looking for a Video Card who supports Direct X 11.

Hope you can help me! Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dell M6400
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell M6400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Laptop makes this easy.

The GPU upgrade is only available from Dell. I'm making a big assumption you did your homework and found that this GPU is on a card and not on the mainboard like most laptops.

As to the CPU, I research it like this. I find the documentation on dell.com for the model line and read if it came with any faster CPU.

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks, questions

Thanks for your answer.

I have found the "ATI FirePro M7740 1GB" is the best upgrade for my GPU, but i cannot find it anywhere to buy. Do you know a good site?

and for my CPU i looked at the Dell documentation, and from what i could find the "Intel

- Collapse -
About the video card.

For this one there is only one sure source and that's Dell. Did you call and ask if they had any?

As to the CPU, that was not the method I used to find if there were faster CPUs.

And again, laptop video cards are not generic. You might read some odd reply about MXM or such but Dell made the cards for Dell and that's it. You seem to have looked at desktop cards?
Bob

CNET Forums