Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Latitude RAM Upgrade

by tadhg07 / May 5, 2005 11:05 AM PDT

I have recently decided to upgrade the amount of RAM on my Dell Latitude CPxj laptop. I have 128 mb, and purchased 512 (the max for my machine) and it will not work. It is 144 pin pc100 DIMM, and I purchased what I thought would work, but it doesn't. The description said that it was pc100, 133 and I'm thinking it might really be pc133, therefore it won't work. Also, the new memory seem a little thincker and wider. Any ideas, please let me lnow. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Latitude RAM Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Latitude RAM Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Crucial.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 11:24 AM PDT

They have a nice selection system to get the right part.

Bob

Collapse -
Dell Ram is proprietary!
by philosopher dog / May 14, 2005 6:01 AM PDT

Get it out of your board before you damage something! Dell Ram is proprietary. Get it from Dell, or buy Kingston tested for your machine, or follow the last poster's advice. Always test ram after installation even if it seems to be ok http://www.memtest86.com/
Steven

Collapse -
Proprietary?????
by fossilsguy / May 15, 2005 7:36 AM PDT

Dell utilizes STANDARD SO DIMM PC100 memory in the CPXJ. however the system in question is only capable of posting with a stick of no more than 256 MGS. the person posting has overloaded the system cmos with too much memory in a single slot NOT DAMAGING HIS SYSTEM but not allowing the POST (Power On Self Test) to complete as the memory isn't recognized by the CMOS. he will want to return the rather expensive 512 of pc100 and insert 2 sticks of 256 instead as that is all that will work properly with the chipset. the above information can be verified by the individual by going to www.dell.com and checking with the electronics and accessory sales category with a link marked "memory selector". this link will identify by system what the max memory per slot and per system is.

Collapse -
Does Dell only work with Dell?
by amj314 / November 14, 2005 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: Proprietary?????

Hi, I bought a 128mb stick of RAM for the free slot in my Dell Latitude (C series). I know that this laptop is a pc133 and needs 144 pin SDRAM. This is what I bought. But when I came to fit it I found that the Dell stick (although it has all the same specs written on it) is slightly wider. The new one I bought was still able to fit into the slot but upon booting, my computer said "unsupported memory module...blah blah please remove". I am sure it is not a fault with the memory as this is the second new stick I have tried. Is there something else you have to look for apart from making sure its pc133, 144pin SDRAM? Does it have to be from Dell? If it does then I'm thinking I'll just scrap the laptop. I don't know why Dell have a good rep. We have 10 Dell laptops in our group at work and none of them work properly. They have a myriad of problems and Dell are just rip-off merchants. If anyone answers to this message please can they explain any terms they use as I am not an expert.

Collapse -
Dell ain't crap
by jonnydarke / August 4, 2006 4:30 AM PDT

Sorry about your difficulties.

I worked for Dell tech support for 5 years. I was a Level 2 tech. I am a domestic (U.S.) tech.

Fossilsguy's post is correct.

If the memory is slightly THICKER or TALLER, that's okay; it's normal for slight variation. If it's LONGER, they may have given you the wrong thing.

As much as I don't like the company, I like much of the equipment. I have a CPxJ750, and LOVE it. I'm looking to sell my Compaq Armada, for money to buy another notebook, which will be a Dell.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!