Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell Latitude CPi D226XT that needs Windows install

by lilyben3 / December 21, 2008 2:24 AM PST

A friend was given the laptop computer listed in the subject line, with a version of Windows Me installed on the equally partitioned 4 GB hard drive. The system has Pentium II, 48 MBs of RAM, and is FAT16. She was given a CD with Me on it and thought to clean up the HD by reinstalling Windows. She apparently found a website with instructions on how to do so, starting by formatting the HD after making a floppy boot from the installed Me version.
Her problem is that the computer no longer recognizes the CD Rom drive. In this particular computer, the floppy and CD Rom are interchangable modules and therefore cannot operate at the same time.
She gave me the computer to look at and I noticed (when booting up) the floppy apparently tries to access the CD Rom (when selecting CD Rom support), cannot find one, then boots into the A: prompt.
I've even tried to quickly swap out the drives to no avail.
I've had a look at the hard drive but (to me in any case) it doesn't look like a standard IDE socket so I don't know if I can even buy an adapter to load Windows on via my computer.
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Latitude CPi D226XT that needs Windows install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Latitude CPi D226XT that needs Windows install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This machine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 3:21 AM PST

From memory is one where we boot from the CD to install Windows ME. If you boot a dos diskette then you do that to do 'things we do in DOS.'

If the Windows ME CD does not boot then I fix that.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell computer with no Windows
by lilyben3 / December 21, 2008 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: This machine...

I have no idea what you mean.

Collapse -
I understand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 4:01 AM PST

The older Windows are too hard on people today. Take the machine and the parts to a service counter and have the work done for you.
Bob

Collapse -
instructions
by lilyben3 / December 21, 2008 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: I understand.

Actually, what I didn't understand was your phrasing.
I have the boot disk Windows Me made (DOS, I assume) but (I believe because of the configuration of this particular computer, where the CD and floppy are modules interchangable rather than concurrently installed) the computer cannot read from the CD when the flopy drive is installed.
In your instructions you say :
"From memory is one where we boot from the CD to install Windows ME. If you boot a dos diskette then you do that to do 'things we do in DOS.'"...
is "things we do in DOS" instructions that are available somewhere?
You also say "If the Windows ME CD does not boot then I fix that"
What are you referring to fixing?
Sorry, I may sound dim but I honestly don't understand your phrasing as it pertains to this problem.

Collapse -
Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: instructions

The last time I installed Windows ME I never used the DOS boot diskette. YOUR CHOICE why you would use that dos diskette.

As to booting the Windows ME CD, that's what I did and installed Windows ME without using any diskette. If that doesn't boot then we fix the reason why we couldn't boot that CD.

As to fixing what. I replace the drive, cable or whatever part that has failed.

Bob

Collapse -
CD drive
by lilyben3 / December 21, 2008 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Your choice here.

Thanks for your help but I don't think you are understanding the problem. I would love to boot from the CD but (probably because of her formatting the drive) the drivers for the CDRom don't seem to be there, or are not recognizing the drive. As far as I'm aware the drive works fine (it does spin up when the module is plugged in) but the computer doesn't recognize the drive. Any idea how I can get drivers installed? I've tried a couple of programmes downloaded from other sites and put on a floppy but all appear to be too large to be executable in DOS, even though some have said they are for that purpose.
Regardless, thanks for the input...there's no use taking this in for service anywhere as it isn't her main computer but rather something she wanted her kids to fiddle with.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: CD drive

But I've installed Windows 1 to Vista far too many times. Windows ME is nicer than some because I simply boot off that CD and I have no issue of hunting for drivers until the OS is installed.

I was giving you the shortest possible explanation on how to install Windows ME on those old Dell laptops that came with that. Its possible someone tinkered with the BIOS and set someone else to boot first or at the age of that hardware it no longer can boot from the CD.

You keep referring to drivers. You may be getting confused about how we installed most versions of Windows 98 or prior.

To recap. I never used the floppy drive. I just used the CD drive and the Windows ME CD from Dell. Later I used the driver CD but that was after the OS was installed.

As to floppy diskettes, what would we need these for unless we wanted to do something else?
Bob

Collapse -
Let's say you want to install Windows the hard way?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 5:20 AM PST

Yes, use the boot diskette. I must not detail how to make one. Your research here.

1. Boot dos from the diskette.
2. FDISK and FORMAT C:/S like you always did.
3. Edit config.sys and autoexec.bat to have the old dos CDROM drivers (look to dell to get those.)

(BREAK!) I can not duplicate all the web content about MS DOS CDROM drivers. I must stick to the short answers.

4. Read "Installing MS-DOS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?