Samsung forum

General discussion

DELL Laptops D610 and D410 connect to LE40A556 - VGA cable

by aboatwri / February 9, 2009 6:39 AM PST

I have been wracking my head for a while now and I am no further.

I have two laptops, both DELL (Latitude 410/610). I have a VGA male to male cable. I know it works as when I use it to connect to another monitor it works fine.

I have changed the resolution to as many different options as I could find available. I have done - right click|properties|Settings and tried everything under the sun. I have seen the manual page 46 which shows all the resolutions but that has not brought me further either. I cannot seem to get the PC mode to get ungrey on the TV in the menu.

Is there a comprehensive troubleshooting list that one can go through. From extensive google-ing I see a lot of people seem to have these issues but very few resolutions.

I have also called samsung help line and followed all the above with them on the line. To no avail. They asked me to play around more and call back later if there was no change.

Thank you in advance for any and all support.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL Laptops D610 and D410 connect to LE40A556 - VGA cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL Laptops D610 and D410 connect to LE40A556 - VGA cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2009 6:47 AM PST

aboatwri,

In many cases, the cable itself can be the deciding factor. The television is not recognizing the computer, likely because one of the pins that tells the television that a signal is available isn't part of the cable structure. I might suggest taking your laptop to a retailer that sells both the TV you have and computer cables and see if they'll help you find one that connects.

A few other things:

I would recommend updating the BIOS.
I would also recommend updating your drviers.
Check the resolutions in the manual - and also the Hz levels.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LCD and PC
by aboatwri / February 9, 2009 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: PC

HD TEch,

thank you. I am going to try PCWorld where I bought it originally.

Re: the cables. Is there a detailed guide to what the differences are?

Thank you

Collapse -
Cable
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: LCD and PC

aboatwri,

There are, but probably nothing that will be noted directly on the package itself. I wish I had a better answer, but I don't. I'd even break my "no manufacturer recommendation" rule if I knew a specific make and model would work.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Solved
by aboatwri / February 14, 2009 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Cable

It was a cable issue. I just went to the shop and took my laptop with me and asked them to show me cables until one worked. thanks for the advice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.