Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell laptops - cannot remove batteries and run only on AC???

by Starfish564 / February 27, 2010 12:58 AM PST

So I just talked with a customer service person from Dell (I am in the process of choosing a laptop) and found out that with their laptops you cannot remove the battery and run only on AC power. What is up with that!? Dell was my first choice for a laptop, but this computer will be primarily used at home and I would like to be able to plug in and run off of AC power so as to save the battery for times when a power source is not readily available.

I guess I'm wondering now, what laptops DO allow for the battery to be removed and run on only AC? And is it really that big of a deal in terms of battery life?

Thanks!

Starfish

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell laptops - cannot remove batteries and run only on AC???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell laptops - cannot remove batteries and run only on AC???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2010 1:24 AM PST

Scratch dell. All other models I've tried this with works. I am not going to disagree here but wonder if the person from dell is new or just misinformed.

Given no benefits from removing the battery and plenty of other downsides we could discuss this further if you like.
Bob

Collapse -
Contacted Dell again
by Starfish564 / February 27, 2010 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: That's a first.

and sure enough (chatted with a different person this time) they said of course you could remove the battery and use it with only AC power. I asked again, "so it would work just fine?" Answer "yep". *sigh* I am trying my best to research and become informed to do things the right way but good grief, is a straight answer too much to ask for?

And now for the whole battery issue. I've read so many different views/opinions on that too. I don't know what to believe. Here's what I want my laptop for: primarily to be used at home (like a desktop) only with the option of portibility if needed. I will be using it a couple of hours per day for anything from word processing, email, online research, watching videos/movies online, or downloading music. I would like to eventually use WiFi once I get around to buying a router. Is my best option just to take the battery out and use AC whenever that is an option? I don't want to be wasting battery power if I can easily hook up to a wall outlet. That would be pointless. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Thank you!

Starfish

Collapse -
YOUR CHOICE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2010 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Contacted Dell again

There are so many downsides to removing the battery that I think only you can determine if removal is a good idea. Here's a few.

1. You are working on a document. The AC power fails. No more document.
2. Windows has one of those don't turn off the machine updates. The AC power fails and the OS is left in some weird problem state. Recovery is possible by reinstalling the OS but you forget to backup. More lost files.

We have laptops that are 5 years old, sit on desktops on AC with the battery in and they still run for about 1/2 the time when new on battery power.

But let's say you pull the battery and put it into cool storage. Seems you are saving it for what day?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?