Windows 8 forum

Question

Dell laptop stuck on windows welcome screen

by Tech_Nine / November 13, 2014 7:12 PM PST

Ran in to another issue with my Dell Inspiron 15. The computer froze on me and after a few minutes of no response I held down the power button and forced it to power down. When I restarted I couldn't get it past the windows welcome screen

Computer will boot to the screen that allows me to choose which windows user to log in with. I have my normal user profile that I use (admin) and a guest account. When I choose my normal account and enter my password it will stay on the screen as if it is preparing to log on to windows but never does. (I've kept it like that for over 4 hours, no result)

I can however get in to the guest account but for some reason there is no internet connection available and if I attempt to do admin user controls it freezes up after entering the admin password. I'm really confused here. This is what I've attempted so far

Doing the "shift & restart" option and choosing Automatic repair. After attempting Automatic Repair I got this error:

D:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

I went back and tried to do a system restore. After attempting system restore, I got this:

-
System restore filed while scanning the file system on the drive D:\ The drive might be corrupt. Try system restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk

An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x81000204)

Rebooted once again to the command prompt, entered my admin password and typed the chkdsk /R command on the D drive. I get this message:

- The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

- I chose yes and after 2 hours I got this message after the scan was finished:

- Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

This is where I'm stuck at now. Any suggestions would be appreciated as always

All the best

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell laptop stuck on windows welcome screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell laptop stuck on windows welcome screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 7:29 PM PST

Obviously something is very wrong.

It's a pity you didn't make a spare admin account. That's a recommended thing to do as soon as you get a new machine. Then you can login in that spare account if the one you use normally is corrupted, like it is now.

It's uncommon that Windows is installed on the d:-drive. Did it come like this, or did you do that yourself?

In this case, after making a backup of your files to an external hard disk (can be done after booting to a Linux disc), I'd use the diagnostic tools from Dell to check the hardware (especially the hard disk) and then go back to factory conditions in the way defined for this model (recovery disks or recovery partition).

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by Tech_Nine / November 13, 2014 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: Re: laptop problems

Hi Kees,
It does obviously seem theres a big problem here, I dont understand how this is happening. I've never changed the windows drive or would even know how to do that so I'm not sure why it's there. I did run a diagnostics in the Dell boot menu and it said there was no issues found.

Do you know for sure from my previous post that windows is on the D drive? If not is there a way I can check?

Collapse -
Re: d-drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

In your post I read "D:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt". That seems like the d:-drive, doesn't it? But of course you can check in Explorer.

If the diagnostics find no problems, it might be time indeed to see what happens if you do the recovery to factory conditions. But better wait until other members had their say.

Kees

Collapse -
To Kees
by Tech_Nine / November 14, 2014 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: d-drive

Yes it does, you would probably be more sure about that than me. I'm gonna stick it out and see if I get some other possible solutions before doing the full restore. The important files are backed up to one drive but i have programs on there I use like Photoshop that I want to still be able to access without having to start all over again. I appreciate your help

Collapse -
Answer
boot to Safe Mode
by James Denison / November 14, 2014 2:11 AM PST

You should see an Admin user appear then. If you set a password on it, hope you remember. If not, then just leave password blank and enter it. You can then set up second admin user different from the one you can't access, just so you have it available. While in the main Admin mode, try and rescue your previous profile.

Collapse -
re safe mode
by Tech_Nine / November 14, 2014 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: boot to Safe Mode

When rebooting it gives me the same results. I click the admin user enter the correct password and its stil stuck. I can only get in via guest user

Collapse -
(NT) try it without any password
by James Denison / November 14, 2014 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: re safe mode
Collapse -
Tried w/o password on admin login
by Tech_Nine / December 2, 2014 12:57 PM PST

It says invalid password

Collapse -
Re: Safe mode
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: re safe mode

In Safe mode in XP there should be an extra (normally hidden) user on the welcome screen, called "administrator" (without a capital). And unless you changed it, it has no password, so you just press enter to log in. Then you might be able to do some checks and corrections, or simply built 2 new accounts with administrator capabilities.

That's what James meant. And I don't think it's your "Admn user" and password.
Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Using windows 8
by Tech_Nine / December 2, 2014 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Safe mode
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?