Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Laptop LCD Cable?

by Primster7 / December 6, 2003 1:56 PM PST

I have a Dell Laptop with a slight problem. When I open the screen about 3-4" it's fine, but if I open it further the computer beeps once and the screen turns white. I'm assuming that it's an LCD cable but not sure. I was thinking of buying a cable then installing it myself (which I have never done before). Anyway, my two questions are: Is it safe to open the laptop when it's not plugged in and no battery attached? Can you be shocked? Also, does this sound like a LCD cable problem? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Laptop LCD Cable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Laptop LCD Cable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Dell Laptop LCD Cable? Is a flex cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2003 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Dell Laptop LCD Cable?

And I've repaired a few by routing replacement wires for the traces that broke. The downside was that after hours of disassembly, finding the trace with an ohmmeter, the repair only held up until the next trace on the flex cable broke.

You'll want to replace this cable and you'll get it from Dell.

Time to call them.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Dell Laptop LCD Cable? Is a flex cable.
by Primster7 / December 7, 2003 1:45 AM PST

I'm getting the cable off of e-bay, but my real question is, is it safe to install? Any possibility of a shock?

Collapse -
Shock hazard = Yes. IF the power is on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2003 4:54 AM PST

The CCFT (that light bulb for the display) when powered up is a shock hazard. Here's a reference for that -> http://members.misty.com/don/oddbulb.html#cc and if you do your own research the voltage is from 10 volts for some speck sized bulb to 50 volts for something of interest to about 900V for 8 foot tubes.

Power off and you won't have an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Bad connection
by cj2600 / October 5, 2005 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Laptop LCD Cable?

I would try to reseat the data cable connector on the system board and under LCD first. When LCD goes white, it?s most likely bad data cable connection on LCD. Also, check an external video output. Connect CRT monitor to your laptop and check if you get video. If you see the same problem on CRT, most likely your system board is bad.

Good luck.
C.J.
http://www.irisvista.com/deal/index.htm

Collapse -
CCFL's
by ikenfixit / October 7, 2005 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad connection

Actually the startup voltage for laptop CCFLs can be as high as 1600 volts and operate at 6-700.. Not much amperage(the real killer) but they can snap you good.
http://power.tdk.com/dcac/application/Application_Note_97.PDF
(adobe needed)..Just and example. Be sure power is off and battery is pulled prior to unplugging the CCFL leads or ribbon for that matter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.