General discussion

dell laptop hard drive data recovery

Aug 27, 2005 12:44PM PDT

i have a dell latitude, pen 4, 2.4 ghs laptop.
the harddrive failed, dell is sending a new hard drive. record segments 6980-6983 are unreadable.

for some stupid reason, i tried to install another xp copy on the d drive (dont ask, i paniced Happy

i would very much like to get my data off the harddrive without paying anyone. i heard its com cable you can connect to the harddrive.

its saturday night and im losin sleep on this one.

ANY help that you guys can share, i greatly appreciate it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: dell laptop hard drive data recovery
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: dell laptop hard drive data recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
With this little adapter....
Aug 27, 2005 1:29PM PDT
- Collapse -
External USB 2.0 solution
Aug 30, 2005 8:37AM PDT
- Collapse -
you choose
Aug 30, 2005 11:52AM PDT

with michael's solution you'd need to have another desktop machine available to crack open.(very inexpensive)

with linkit's idea you can hook up the drive to any computer with a usb port to read the files(it can even be your own laptop that you use to retrieve the data, after you install the replacement drive from dell)

- Collapse -
Hard drive recovery for Laptops!
Feb 26, 2007 2:19PM PST

Well let me ask you this! You said that I can use an external usb! Well what do you mean about that! Do you mean a usb cable hooked up directly to the hard drive or what!

- Collapse -
I use those external drive cases.
Feb 26, 2007 8:26PM PST

There are those cable only affairs but at the price difference of zero I just buy the case.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info