Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Ispiron 1000 HELP

by localgod11 / August 21, 2005 10:07 AM PDT

I recieved a dell inspiron 1000 laptop as a gift and unfortuantly it is woefully underpower. I plan to max out the RAM capabilty. I was wondering if anyone out there knows what if anything else can/should be upgraded. I.E. Video Card
Celeron 2.2
My real question..."Is there any way i can make this laptop capable of running Doom 3?? I know its a pipe dream but a guy can dream.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Ispiron 1000 HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Ispiron 1000 HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Crucial.com and dream...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Ispiron 1000 HELP

You can run the older Doom (not 2, 3...) or maybe 3 if you knock it down to no effects, low-res...

Bob

Collapse -
crucial.com
by localgod11 / August 21, 2005 11:47 AM PDT

I have been to crucial.com and have found a 256 memory upgrade and a RADEON X800 Pro 256MB AGP graphics card that crucial says is compatible with my weak lil dell.
With these upgrades would that be enough to run todays games or would my CELERON limit me??? or is there something else here that i am missing??? adding these to my computer would seem to bring my dell above the minimum required spec's found at http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/techinfo.html

Collapse -
Cheaper than a new laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: crucial.com

While you didn't reveal what RAM you have now, 512M to more is a thing for Doom. If you can bump the video card you should be fine. Again, tinker with lowered video settings to get framerates up.

Bob

Collapse -
yah but not by alot
by localgod11 / August 21, 2005 12:09 PM PDT

I believe my laptop was shipped to me with 256 of ram and i could double it to meet the minimun system req. but curial.com says my mem slots are full and that shouldnt be true so now i am a little confused is there any way i can tell without a screwdriver?? and the celeron should be just fine right? I hear alot of bad things about them.
Sounds like i'm on the right track here if i could bet the battery to last longer than 1hour id be in good shape.

Collapse -
1 hour battery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: yah but not by alot

That's a bit odd but not unheard of in the 1+ year old machines and even moreso on game play.

But look up CPUIDZ and check out it's memory tab.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
cupidz
by localgod11 / August 21, 2005 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: 1 hour battery?

Where do i find it?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nevermind i found it
by localgod11 / August 21, 2005 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: cupidz
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.